hi, i want to get some pigeons and was wondering which of these i should get

west of england tumblers
fantails
tipplers
indian fantails
racing
archangel
frillbacks

they need to be low maintenence, friendly and good pets with nice characters. just looking for nice pets really but would like them to make good parents aswell
x x

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
only you can make up your mind on what kind. pigeons don't differ much in the way they are cared for, satinettes I've heard are good for pets. best to read up and learn how to care for them first, then decide what kind.:) they are not very low maintenence, they poop alot and sling seed. no pet is low maintenence but some just easier than others. pigeons take all the same basic care no matter what breed.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Really depends on what you want pigeons to do. Fly? Sit and look pretty?.......there's a million different reasons to have pigeons. What kind is up to you and what you want them for.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Any of the breeds can be made into a pet, but the more fancy the breed and the less they naturally fly, the better time you'll have taming them in my opinion. So in that case, based on that list, I'd probably pick Indian Fantails if I were you. That or regular fantails. They don't fly much, and from my experience are much easier to tame. Frillbacks would be nice too.
On the other hand, if you want something that you can let loose to fly, then you'd better go with a flying breed. You can let the show breeds out but they don't really 'fly', they just fly from one thing to another, and are more in danger of predators since they're slower. Tipplers and racing homers are the flying breeds. The west of englands (not the show kind) and archangels are in between, they don't fly as much as homers and tipplers but they aren't as slow as the others.
So I guess a lot depends on if you want an indoor/prisoner pet that won't be let go outside, or a pet you can feel a little more safe about letting outside :) Either way all the breeds will be as high or low maintenence as you want them to be. For example, if you have them for fun, it's not so bad. But if you want competition birds, whether for show or race, it can get really serious really quick if you want to be. Serious or not serious, you still need to make sure the birds are happy and healthy.

G

·
I agree if you want a pet indian fantails are very tame naturally, well at least mine are, I cant keep them out of the feed bucket when Im in the pen with them and they are always at my feet .. not great flyers at all so if you wanted something to fly around the house you would look more towards rollers, tipplers or homers which arent always the tamest birds either though some are more so then others ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
OMG GO FOR FANTAILS.
Not the full-tails but just normal ones..lol
I find they fly just as fast as some homers. But not as long. and they look great in your garden. But unfortunatly mine were so tame that they took naps under the cars and would not move. and a cat got one :(

·
Registered
754 Posts
Fantails

I myself prefer the fantails for pets. I have both Indian and English fantails and they are pretty much the same personality wise. I can sit and watch them for hours if I find the time. It takes me about an hour in the morning and a hour in the evening to care for them, Scraping the loft daily,feeding and watering Oh and changing there pools. I will not let them outside the avery anymore even though they were pretty sitting in the trees, one night four of them would not come in and I tought they would be alright on the roof (WRONG) I was minus one in the morning with no clue as to where it went. I will never let that happen again. I currently have 10 pairs and 8 young birds It is a huge joy for me to have them and yes they are spoiled.
Kevin

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree Fan tails are low maintenence,friendly and good pets with nice characters, and good parents as well. My Italian Owls also have the low maintenence and all too.
I think fans will be a good start for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you!

thanks for all the advice..... sounds like fantails are the winner then!
just want them to be nice tame pets really lol.
only concern though is are they hardy enough to live outside in a big aviary?
x x

·
Registered
118 Posts
thanks for all the advice..... sounds like fantails are the winner then!
just want them to be nice tame pets really lol.
only concern though is are they hardy enough to live outside in a big aviary?
x x
Yes they are.

·
Registered
777 Posts
My fantails share a large outdoor aviary with a variety mix of homers and racers...they all do fine. They were brought in with other groups of rescues and seem like the best parents...and of course, the prettiest!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts