Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a beautiful pigeon that has been hanging around the hen house for a few years. He is white and has feathers on his legs! I can get close but I didn't notice till yesterday that he has a black band with white numbers on his feet! I think he has lost some of the leg feathers.

He sits atop the hen house and is king/queen of the abandoned metal shop in the neighbors yard. Now there is also a young white pigeon, with a black tail in the pack, no leg feathers though.

BTW It is illegal to feed pigeons in the city, I live in the county so not sure the rules here but these birds come down to feed when my chickens and ducks eat.

Thanks if you can give me info on how to find owner or contact concerned party.

Kim

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Wow..for a few years.
You've got some breed pigeon. You have to catch the pigeon and read the band numbers and letters first. If it has a baby i wouldn't catch her now.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Yes..if you want to bother with all of that, you can try to catch him/her. Quite honestly, if it has been a year and he seems healthy and alert, just leave him/her be. He may have bred already, or the younger bird may be his mate.

He has clearly found a safe home at the metal shop, so unless there is some potential danger to him/her there (i.e. that property has been sold and new tenants or development is going to occur....or a hawk has appeared...or some kids or adults in the area have been taking potshots at the Pigeon....something like that), the his life seems to be pretty stable and he is apparently getting enough food from the hens and ducks.

Nothing 'illegal' about a Pigeon which you do not own crashing the food party, if your intent of the food is to feed your other guys.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts