Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi first post and having a drama, can anyone offer advice. Our white doves have just had their first beautiful babies. They are now almost 5 weeks old and attempting to leave the cote but daddy dove is attacking the young as soon as they hit the floor :eek: Has anyone ever come across this before and is there a remedy, it is not nice to see :(

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hi first post and having a drama, can anyone offer advice. Our white doves have just had their first beautiful babies. They are now almost 5 weeks old and attempting to leave the cote but daddy dove is attacking the young as soon as they hit the floor :eek: Has anyone ever come across this before and is there a remedy, it is not nice to see :(
he does not recognise them as his young anymore, they are just intruders now, a pair should be in their own space and another found for the weaned younguns.....:) doves can be brutal....I have three hens and they get along fine, but if a male was in there there could be a problem....

·
Registered
760 Posts
Do you have any vacant holes in the dovecote that the babies can use? You could try putting them in those. Spread the food around and give the babies their own water fountain so that the cock doesnt stop them from eating and drinking. I have a dovecote and the best advice I can give you is....don't watch! They will sort themselves out eventually.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks pigeon, yeah there are several holes they can use, in fact baby just got in with brooding mum, and we do have loads of feeding stations. We were hoping for a nice gentle flock oh well, glad i'm at uni in the morning!! We've just got over the pecking order with the chickens after adding another 3, blimey it's all go :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts