Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon we did a free White Dove Release for the Australian Cancer Councils Relay for life in Byron Bay NSW.
For those overseas it is a fundraiser where teams of sponsored local businesses walk around a oval for 24 hours.
All money raise goes towards cancer research. They are held all over the country throughout May.
The first lap of the oval is always done by those with Cancer and survivors It very moving as they slowly make there way around.

The birds were released in the middle of the oval with the crowd beside ready to start walking.

The birds ready to go

Before the Release

Away they go

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
That's very cool, I grew up in Byron Bay and take I trips there each year to photograph local birds.

I have to admit, knowing the area like I do, my first thought after seeing the pictures was those doves look like they'd be well appreciated by the local family of whistling kites and the white breasted sea-eagles. Will they be returning to a loft, or were they released as raptor- food?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Thanks for letting me know what happens with these doves, that is good news. I am glad they weren't just released and expected to fend for themselves amongst so many hungry raptors.

It must be nice living in Lennox head, I used to sail there:)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Beautiful pics, Queen, and delighted to hear it all went well. What a lovely idea to release your pigeons for such an event - so appropriate! Love your release cage too - is that one that you made yourself?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Great pictures!! I've got to ask.........the two young girls? Are they yours? Do they have their pajamas on??? Sounds like a lot of fun (and walking)........good job.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All

The release cage was made by my husband. We have found it is easier to make our own as we get exactly what we want. But I" know not all can built.

Yes the young girls who are not mine were chosen to do the release. They are in their pyjamas as Teams are encouraged to dress up for the event and I guess it you are going to walk through the night and sleep some it save you getting changes. the girl on the left was a little afraid of the birds and did not quite open the door enough.
Tey say to never work with animals and kids !!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.