Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
If you are on Facebook, join the Palomacy Help Group for Pigeon and Dove rescue. They have members all over the world and someone might know of a rescue centre in your country.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You are already giving the acv, that's good. Do you have a petshop closeby that sells fish and aquarium equipment? If so, they might sell flagyl which is the same as metronidazole. Ask amongst your friends if they have leftover antibiotics that has amoxycillin. Synulox or clavmet can also be used. In the meantime, you can make him a tea (cooled down) that has cinnamon and a bit of ginger. What do the droppings look like?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm home on my
Break now I will warm up some cinnamon & ginger tea for it. Not sure if the petshop with fish sell that stuff u mentioned. I got thru to a municipal service that Said they will take the bird, let's hope they do

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Are you sure they won't just euthanize? He is producing starvation droppings. If he can't swallow, you might struggle getting food into him. If he is drinking, add some porridge (no milk or sugar products) to the tea so that you have a watery mixture. If he drinks that, he will at least get some nourishment. Otherwise use a medicine dropper and drop some porridge in the front of his beak. Hopefully he will swallow this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you sure they won't just euthanize? He is producing starvation droppings. If he can't swallow, you might struggle getting food into him. If he is drinking, add some porridge (no milk or sugar products) to the tea so that you have a watery mixture. If he drinks that, he will at least get some nourishment. Otherwise use a medicine dropper and drop some porridge in the front of his beak. Hopefully he will swallow this.
God I hope not! I even thought what if they just let it loose coz they're too Jewish to spend money euthanising it.
Is like them to keep me updated about its progress & If they treat to release it back to me so it can come back to where it lives, maybe it has a family here. Over 10 of them eat at my window.

·
Registered
11 Posts
God I hope not! I even thought what if they just let it loose coz they're too Jewish to spend money euthanising it.
Is like them to keep me updated about its progress & If they treat to release it back to me so it can come back to where it lives, maybe it has a family here. Over 10 of them eat at my window.
I just came home now for my break, warming up some water with cinnamon, ginger, rosemary & Melissa.
Its still sitting in the bathroom probably was sleeping, breathing looks a bit more normal & the beak is dry & clean since I cleaned it with the ACV a few hours ago... Best of all I see it's eaten quite a bit of the seeds I left there, unless it just hid them behind the toilet lol. I examined its beak & it did a poo which was the same colour but the dark green part was more solid/conjealed rather then just water like earlier. I hope that's a good sign!!

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
His droppings will change if he is eating and food is digesting. You can always take the dove to them, but don't leave him there. Just get the meds and continue treating him at your place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
His droppings will change if he is eating and food is digesting. You can always take the dove to them, but don't leave him there. Just get the meds and continue treating him at your place.
U reckon that's better than them taking it off my hands? Is this just coz we don't trust what they'll do with it?
My only qualm with that is if they don't give me that option. Like the person who takes it might just be a worker or driver who will take it to the municipal vet & not give me the option to just get it looked at & take meds then take it back home

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Surely if they are a rescue centre, they must have birds recovering and undergoing treatment. If there aren't any, well then you know all gets euthanized. First go check it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Surely if they are a rescue centre, they must have birds recovering and undergoing treatment. If there aren't any, well then you know all gets euthanized. First go check it out.
Sounds horrible but need to consider it, will surely check it out

21 - 31 of 31 Posts