Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to you all,
Neighbor’s kids brought a white pigeon to me yesterday, it could not fly, I have examined the wings and it had a few patches of blood, also it looks like someone plucked all the big (flying) feathers from both wings.
One wing does not even have the long and middle feathers.
It looks like it is a mature bird thou.
Took it to the vet, he did not have much to say about the bird only gave me some antibiotics and that was it.
It has a very quite behavior, it will not clap the wings when I’m approaching, only starts to shake.
Tried to put the bird in the cage and it went crazy, so I had to take it out and leave it in the room.
I have observed that it does not like to be on the floor so I placed it on the site of a basked for the night. It did not move, even thou there was food and water near. I tried to hand feed and give water and it all end up on the floor.
This morning I place the bird in the cage on a wooden stick (did not have the stick last night), it did not fight it, and actually observed it eating as well.

The bird looks ok, but I’m really worried about the wings,
Will the feathers grow back, and how long will it take?
Will she be ok after if I want to release it? After the feathers are grown back, or will she have a problem to survive in the wild?
Sorry for the long story, just trying to not miss anything.
PS. I’m located in United Arab Emirates, Middle East.
Thank you all

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Eblaja, thanks for helping the pigeon :) From a completely plucked stage, the feathers will take some time to grow back, I guess atleast a month and a half. If its a grown up pigeon (and not a very young one) then you can release it once the feathers have grown back, but release it where another flock of pigeon is present. I hope there is no other disease as of now, please keep a close look on the pigeon's poop. I have heard from a couple of friends that there are pigeon fanciers in UAE, so if you are reluctant to release the pigeon to the open you can check if any other fancier would be interested to adopt the bird. Good luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot Sreesh,
Also I have placed the bird in a cage but looks like it is too small (has enough peace to urn and flap its wings if needed), because it is continuously beating itself to the walls of the cage.
Is it because wants to be free?
Or it is got some sort of problems?
I would like to care for the bird and set it free when its feather will grow.
Please help.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Eblaja,
Yes the feathers will grow again. I would keep bird in cage though as obviously it is tame bird. Someone did plucked feathers to prevent her from flying. If you let her go, it will perish as it is not used to the wild. Birds raised by people do not know how to search for food.
Pigeons make great pets, and it will bond to you quickly.

Get bit bigger cage so she can spread wings inside.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hi, the pigeon is beating its wings against the cage because it wants to be free. If you allow this to continue, the remaining feathers will become battered and broken and it will never fly again.
It can be difficult to tell if a pigeon can survive in the wild, most can, even hand reared ones, but yours is definitely not hand reared if it is trying to get out of the cage. It would be better in something with soft sides which will help preserve what's left of its flight feathers. Don't know if you can arrange that?

·
Registered
992 Posts
yours is definitely not hand reared if it is trying to get out of the cage
My pigeon is hand reared and tries to get out of the cage. She doesn't like caging at all, especially since my "provisional caging" consists in a small cage. She wants to escape as she prefers to wander around my room rather than be stuck there.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
No good to keep them in too small a cage. They need room to move around, and flap their wings. They will ruin their wings in a too small cage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just want to thanks everybody for support!!!.

Lucky (my husband named it) looks ok she is eating and drinking water, we bought a heater and placed it in the room so it will keep her warm (it was shaking the previous night, even I was cold).
I’m reluctant to give the care of the bird to anyone as the vet said that people breed the pigeons here for food for themselves as well as for falcons.
I don’t want lucky do be dinner…..
In regards with the gage I’m still looking …no results for now…will keep looking.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Thank you for the update.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Guys, the antibiotics that the vet gave me are called <Chlortetracyclin+, chevita GmgH> .
Is it ok to give it to her, I have been mixing the yellow powder in her water.
Please advice…..thanks.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hi
sorry, I was looking at the sentence - continuous beating against walls of cage - this usually signifies a wild bird. Most tame birds will not show wildness and continuous battering against cage bars. Maybe it was just a language misunderstanding and my imagination ran wild!
chlortetracyclin is not an antibiotic I have used but checked this on the internet. The general information I got on it is as below.

chlortetracyclin
Treatment against infections of the respiratory organs

•Effective against Chlamydia psittaci infection (Ornithosis)
•Effective against Infectious catarrh, Coryza
•Additionally, support of body metabolism and resistance
•Available in powder form for treatment via the drinking water and in capsule form for treatment of individual birds.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
419 Posts
If I ever came back as a pigeon, and get injured, I know which house to go to! Thank you for being so caring! For about 20 years I have been volunteering as a wild bird rescue person here in Key West, Florida. The nicest thing about picking up injured birds, is finding the people that are willing to take the time and effort to do what they can. Many times they don't even know what kind of bird, but they will help a bird for hours until they know to call us. It is one of the nicest things in my life now that I think about it and I will never give it up! Many good friends have been made years ago and I just made another today, injured racing pigeon.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Hi, the pigeon is beating its wings against the cage because it wants to be free. If you allow this to continue, the remaining feathers will become battered and broken and it will never fly again.
It can be difficult to tell if a pigeon can survive in the wild, most can, even hand reared ones, but yours is definitely not hand reared if it is trying to get out of the cage. It would be better in something with soft sides which will help preserve what's left of its flight feathers. Don't know if you can arrange that?

I must disagree with that statement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys, thank you so much for the support, it is really great and it feels that I’m not alone!!.

As I’m typing this Lucky is on the floor flapping its featherless wings and enjoying some freedom that we can give her before and after our work.

I also wanted to check about food, as of now I got some mixed trill seeds for Canary. Will that do?
Thank you all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

Not sure if the cage is big enough so i have posted a pic, i'm keep on looking for cages but its looks like no one keeps birbs in the town where i leave.
i have found some sites about pigeon fanciers here in the village but they have special big houses for their birds.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
S/he is a beautiful bird.
The cage is small, but if you can let him out for a hew hours a day while home then he will do just fine.
Also a dog crate would do if you can find one.

Reti

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thank you so much Reti,

But now I have one more worry, i have come home from work and i see that some of her poo is different (right corner looks green), i apologies but i have attached the picture.....is she ok or is this a problem?...maybe the food that i give her (trill for canary) is not good?
Please..I’m starting to panic..

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for caring for this bird.

Is she fluffed up all the time?

What are you feeding the bird?

I would cover that cage (all sides except front) to prevent the bird from catching any colds, should there be any cold drafts of air and if the bird has any pre-existing health issue already, this would make things worse. Pigeons do well in wider, rather then longer cages, and they do need time out of cages.

Pigeons can stand cold air (unless they are sick), but they cannot handle drafts of wind or cold air. Allow the bird access to sunshine outside.

If you haven't done the prevention, ACV in the water, probiotics and garlic (I will explain-if needs be), I would do that, and see if the poop gets better, if not get a fecal done. Stress can also bring on messy poopies. Has the bird been treated for canker, cocci and worms?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hi Treesa

Hi Treesa,
Thank you lots for the post...
I will start one by one..

It is the 4th day from the time that I got her…
I have been giving her Trill mixes for canary but I have read that I can mix wheat with popcorn and peas, so I’m going to purchase this tomorrow. I’m also looking into importing some mixed grains for molding (as I hope this will encourage the feathers to grow).

Is it ok if I just move the cage far from windows instead of covering, I feel for it to be in the dark while I’m at work

Not sure if she’s been treated or not and I don’t know what to do any prevention, the vet has given me some antibiotics (Chlortetracyclin+, chevita GmgH) that I put in her water for 2 days. The vet said that this will do every time that she will behave not normal or get sick, but in all honesty I thing he just looked surprised to see a pigeon on his table.

Also when on the floor, is trying to fly but it falls back on the ground then it stays fluffy for a wile with the wings (one or the other) open (like a plane) and the body shakes a bit.

It is doing a lot of cleaning.. also every day when cleaning I find a lot of white pieces of (like dried skin of small pieces of feathers) all over the place.

Today when I placed it on the floor to get some freedom, I observed that is limping on her left leg, I have examined and touched the leg and it looks ok and strong.
It is not limping with a big limp, it can walk but it prefers not to use the left leg.
Not sure what it is.
Thanks a lot for your help.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts