Pigeon-Talk banner

White, thick vomit and dark green watery droppings

4K views 24 replies 3 participants last post by  Jay3 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all. Today my bird passed out very dark green watery droppings like in the pictures below. She is not puffing up, is still going out foraging and preening but her eyes look a bit tired, and she is not eating eagerly as usual.
Also, this morning (around 7-10 am) either her or her mate vomitted a white, very thick substance consisting of some grains of rice that I gave them in very small amount more than 12 hours ago (picture below). My birds are on pellets of light brown color. Also, I don't know which of them is the one that threw up, but her mate is not showing any abnormal signs in droppings or behavior so I am guessing that it's she.

All of these changes are sudden. In the last couple of days she was pretty active, had very good appetite and had been gaining weight, and most of her droppings are well formed and not watery.
Could you please let me know what disease you think she might have? I would really appreciate it. There's no avian vets in my place, and vet clinics here cannot do dropping analysis. I've done some searches on this forum and elsewhere for the causes of vomit, but the range of possibilities is too wide so I am hoping some more experienced members here could help me to narrow down the causes.

I don't know if the below info can be relevant:
1) Recently, sometimes her urine/feces are yellow
2) A week ago she passed out a round worm in poop and I gave her 6.7 mg of Pyrantel Pamoate (she weights 560 g), but saw only 3-4 worms passing out the following day.
3) Right before passing out the worm there were 3-4 days during which her droppings contained bright red blood and/or pieces of transparent membranes. But afterwards the droppings looked normal again.
4) She was treated for canker 4 months ago (I was just guessing she had canker, not that I knew for sure) with 50 mg of Metronidazole for 10 days.
5) She stopped sitting on her last batch of eggs yesterday and is now showing mating behavior.

Vomit:

Droppings:

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure about the vomiting, as different things can cause that. But canker, worms, or cocci can cause blood in the droppings.
The green droppings show that she isn't eating.

#3 ·
Hi Jay3, thanks for replying. It's you helping my birds once again :)

For cocci, I am giving them Baycox. As for canker, do you think they can have it only 4 months after the last treatment?

I am confused about the droppings. The pellets that they are on, the recommended daily feed for 2 pigeons is 10-30 g. Just yesterday my 2 birds still ate all their usual amount, which is 35 g, but the very first poops this morning she had was those non-eating ones. Even today the total amount they ate is around 25 g, so actually she was not eating too little today.

#5 ·
Yes I am sure they waste very few pellets as I change their cage lining daily. I am wondering if rice that she ate more than 12 hours before showed up in vomit, does that mean her crop is slow?

I'm not sure what you meant by what gram is in measurement. 1lb equals 450 grams, if you are talking about conversion.

#6 · (Edited)
But how do you know who ate what? He could be eating a lot and not her.
Unless you are watching her eat the pellets, you cannot be sure who is eating them. Him or her. If she is eating, and is vomiting, and the food is not going through, then she could have a blockage. Yeast or canker. Do they get probiotics and ACV in their water a couple of times a week?

Just when I talk about feeding it would be how many Tablespoons or like 2 ozs or something like that. Not in grams.

#8 · (Edited)
The recommended amount of feed is 1.5 tablespoons/pigeon a day. My 2 birds usually eat the total amount of 3.5 tbsp a day, yesterday they ate around 2.5.

I put ACV in their waters 2-3 times a week, but not probiotics. I have tried feeding them probiotics a couple of times (different types and dosages) in the past, but it seems to me that the days after being fed probiotics their droppings tend to get worse, not better. It can be just coincidence, and I thought that I would try it again when they are fully recovered because they had been making steady progress.

For canker I've got Ronidazole and Metronidazole, but Nystatin is hard to find, I'm still trying.

#11 ·
Droppings can change often. Little things can throw them off. As far as probiotics, they are only going to help them. It puts back the good gut bacteria. What probiotics are you giving them?

#13 ·
I have tried Enterogermina (Bacillus clausii), Pediakid (inulin and Lactobacillus bacteria), and Bene-bac. The first two are human probiotic and contain no sugar or artificial flavor.

I've also ordered Probotic by Vetafarm for them but it has not arrived.

#15 ·
Lol you must be a coffee lover :) I am too.
I am using Harrison's Bird Foods, I guess it's much more concentrated than seeds hence the small recommended amount. I was also surprised at first, but my birds've been gaining weight since then.

#14 ·
Great. The probiotics are good for them. The good gut bacteria help prevent the bad bacteria from taking over. So when not well, they need it then also.

#17 ·
Hi Jay3. If a bird passes out a round worm in her droppings, does that always mean that she's heavily infested? My bird had a worm in her dropping 10 days ago but after being given Pyrantel Pamoate at correct dose, only 3-4 worms were passed out the day after, and I've been wondering if her worms are resistant to Pyrantel. Now that she's not feeling well, do you think I should give her Moxidectin Plus also?

#21 ·
I gave my birds Moxidectin Plus according to the instruction on the bottle 10am to day, and until 6pm no round worms had been spotted in the droppings. So she really did not have too many roundworms, I guess.

By the way, after you give treat a pigeon for cocci, how long it usually takes for the droppings to become normal again? Before she was given Baycox her droppings had tubular form but were slightly soft and wet. Around a week or 10 days after Baycox, they started becoming firm and dry. I am wondering if it was the med that worked or it's just a coincidence.

#24 ·
I waited for some more days but still no round worms seen. Is it possible that the round worm was passed out because she had lots of thread worms rather than round worms? At least we now know this is not a case of Pyrantel Pamoate resistance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.