Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if white feral pigeons are smater:confused:, i mean if they are in a large flock of pigeons and hawks can see them better wouldn't they have to know more dodging techniques???:confused: there is a good size flock down the street from our house (30-40 pigeons) and there are like two almost totally white ones and they seem to be doing just as good as the rest of the flock . something to think about...thanks james:D

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I was just wondering if white feral pigeons are smater:confused:, i mean if they are in a large flock of pigeons and hawks can see them better wouldn't they have to know more dodging techniques???:confused: there is a good size flock down the street from our house (30-40 pigeons) and there are like two almost totally white ones and they seem to be doing just as good as the rest of the flock . something to think about...thanks james:D
I talk to a guy trying to catch and give away some free flying pigeons he had around his property before he moved, he had about 70 pigeons I guess and one was a fantail mix, solid white, that had lived out there free for 4 years before he caught him at night and gave him away...so that is another example of white pigeons NOT being the target of BOP, Im sure others were though as they were out 24/7.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Depends on what breed of pigeon they are. You're not going to see many true feral pigeons who are white, just those who escaped from home. The ones you do see may be mixes of ferals and 'pets gone feral'.

·
Guardian Angel
585 Posts
Birds of prey dont pick certain colors to go after. They always go after the weaker ones aka sick or injured. Or the ones are not strong fliers.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I always thought that to be a bit of an old wives' tale...certain colors being easier prey....I personally don't buy it....

G

·
I always thought that to be a bit of an old wives' tale...certain colors being easier prey....I personally don't buy it....
birds of prey pick the slower ones cuz they like to use as miminal energy as they possibly can when stalking their prey .. they are oportunist and will grab anything off guard when it presents itself ... in winter when the tree are bare its harder for them to sneak up on prey so thats when they become very desperate for any opportunity that they can find and color rarely has anything to do with that .. all you need to is watch and you will see for yourself to attest to this theory;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
most of the time (all white flock, all blue flock, stuff like that) they will go after the sick, injured, very old, or first year pigeons -- however if it is a mixed-color flock or 1 - 2 of a particular color it is easier for them to see and focus on. well thats what i have observed and been told so....... just my opinion :D.
does that help james?

·
Registered
224 Posts
birds of prey pick the slower ones cuz they like to use as miminal energy as they possibly can when stalking their prey .. they are oportunist and will grab anything off guard when it presents itself ... in winter when the tree are bare its harder for them to sneak up on prey so thats when they become very desperate for any opportunity that they can find and color rarely has anything to do with that .. all you need to is watch and you will see for yourself to attest to this theory;)
i have seen this as well while watching them. they tend to go for the easy-to-see and easy-to-catch prey when they have options

G

·
its all in where your heart lies , color or performace .. you can find both but far and few between when it comes to good whites ;)

·
Registered
875 Posts
i look after a sweet feral flock,,we have 4 brown pigeons,one with white wings n brown body and she is a smart cookie,always 1st on the wing when anything startling comes along,shes sort of a matriach in flock order,the other browns are light with bars and one has white flights,id say what your saying is true,they are usually pretty smart

1 - 11 of 11 Posts