Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Found this in my inbox this morning. It's pretty neat.
http://www.whitewingsoveramerica.com/index.html
If I had more than two white pigeons I'd participate too, haha.
Maybe some of you with white birds could let some go in memory too :)
Well I've only got one, so that leaves me out too I guess.
I wonder if these folks are going somewhere special in their area or releasing in the back yard?
Is there a certain time of day this will be done?
Is there a rain date?
I clicked on some of the states where I might know some people and I do know a few of them.
One man in NC lives in Walnut Cove and that's where my parents live. Might have to try to get in touch with him.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It says you can release anywhere you would like. They would just like for you to 'pledge' your birds, so that they can put on the website that you participated, where, and how many birds. In the RPN email, it said on 9/11 at 12pm (I'll have to check which time zone, probably eastern).
Not something so organized that it'll make a big show for everyone, it's just the thought that counts :) So I guess I could technically put in my two birds. But in CA I saw something like 600 from one loft :eek: My two don't seem very special against that, LOL.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also says on the About Us page that they would like to get it recognized throughout the country through newspapers and local channels and whatnot. That would be good for people in a general area to release at the same point, and maybe get a little thing about it in the paper or something. I can think of two people right around here with white birds.... ;)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I signed up, I will release 12 birds at the court house in Kennesaw, Georgia. I like the idea thank you for letting me know.

Tony

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking that myself :eek: But I'm glad they are white, may keep the hunters off of them. Since mourning doves are definitely not white :p

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I just thought of that too! I would suggest anyone without banded birds not do it as if they did get lost or in someone elses loft they would have a chance to find the owner, but that is for any day of the week and time you fly your birds so...just a reminder why banding your birds is important and even better, the custom bands with your direct info on them.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Well I've only got one, so that leaves me out too I guess.
I wonder if these folks are going somewhere special in their area or releasing in the back yard?
Is there a certain time of day this will be done?
Is there a rain date?
I clicked on some of the states where I might know some people and I do know a few of them.
One man in NC lives in Walnut Cove and that's where my parents live. Might have to try to get in touch with him.
I signed up as well! Thanks for sharing....

·
Registered
604 Posts
My homers are too young, and not trained yet,I Will go watch the release in redmond OR. it is 15 minutes from my house! 9/11 is also my b-day.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
My homers are too young, and not trained yet,I Will go watch the release in redmond OR. it is 15 minutes from my house! 9/11 is also my b-day.
My daughter and my father-in-law were both born on 9-11 also. Congrads Roller mike, a much better reason to remember the day.

God Bless,
Tony

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, happy early birthday! Hope the release is wonderful :) Not the best date for a birthday, but at least it can help brighten it up! :D

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Pictures, Please ..

OK .. all Pigeon-Talkers who are going to do a 9/11 release, please, please take pictures and post them for us. Having homing pigeons released will be such a lovely tribute .. nothing like what happened in NYC years ago when a bunch of Utility Kings were released and had to be rescued.

Terry

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK .. all Pigeon-Talkers who are going to do a 9/11 release, please, please take pictures and post them for us. Having homing pigeons released will be such a lovely tribute .. nothing like what happened in NYC years ago when a bunch of Utility Kings were released and had to be rescued.

Terry
Holy cow! I didn't know about that :eek: Poor Kings. I can just imagine them being released, flying a few yards, then landing somewhere :p Not much of a release display. Or at least, not supposed to be. They usually don't like to fly much...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts