Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of us who are passionate about our sport are here today because of the support, guidance, and friendship of mentors. I just want to start this thread out by saying thanks to Chris Booth from Rough and Ready Company. Chris has helped me out tremendously with birds and guidance. If not for Chris' generosity, I would not have my outstanding birds. Thank you Chris.

Please feel free to mention your mentors/friends. It is these relationships that we have that are more valuable than the positions on the score sheet and the pool monies that are won on a week to week basis.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Without Renee (Lovebirds) I wouldnt have any birds today :)
She sent me my first two breeder pairs free of charge :)
she knows SOOO much about racing pigeons and shares the knowledge with all of us here on this forum and also on other forums :)
Renee is the bestest!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Without Renee (Lovebirds) I wouldnt have any birds today :)
She sent me my first two breeder pairs free of charge :)
she knows SOOO much about racing pigeons and shares the knowledge with all of us here on this forum and also on other forums :)
same here, when I was starting out and building my loft could not of done it without Renee's opinions and help.:)

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Actually, I had no one. That's why I'M determined to help anyone who is new or wants or needs help.
We got into pigeons in general back in 2000. About 6 months after getting our first pigeons and building a loft, we joined a club. From the day we joined, until the day we left MI, not ONCE did ANY member EVER call us to see how we were doing or if we needed anything. One member gave us a three birds. One was an old cock bird that had seen his better days and the other two birds were youngsters that didn't even have a band on their leg.
We went to a few meetings and the club had a club house that we went to a few times to socialize (if you want to call it that).......the people were unfriendly and 90% of the time we spent there, hardly anyone even talked to us and when they did, all they could say is how we didn't have snowballs chance in hell of competeing, much less winning because of where we were located. To this day, I'm SO glad we didn't ever race birds there. There's no doubt in my mind that many birds would have been lost by me, and not knowing what the heck I was doing, we probably wouldn't have stood a chance of winning anything..........
So............for two years before I ever flew my first race, I read everything I could get my hands on and we've made it a point to always be available to any new people. They know they can call me any time and I'll give them the most honest answer I can and help them all I can.
So, those of you who have mentors......cherish them and thank them, because if everyone was like the first pigeon flyers I met, this sport would be long dead and gone by now. ;)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Thank You Renee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Without Renee (Lovebirds) I wouldnt have any birds today
She sent me my first two breeder pairs free of charge

same here, when I was starting out and building my loft could not of done it without Renee's opinions and help.:)
Thank you both. :eek:
Guess yall were typing while I was typing........:D

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
From my experience when I was a teen...

My friend (Manny Boy) from the Philippines got me into pigeons (back home we call them "pigeon owls")...

In the US, no one got me into my pigeon hobby...Caught my first homer in the backyard...Look for a fancier closer to me then bought two hens and a cock and he became my mentor...I do thank the angel from Lovebirds Loft ;)...Even though she know I don't race (yet)...Trusted me and gave two hens...Thanks again Renee and say thank you to Everett too...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Asside from all the wonderful people here on pigeon talk, I have to say that Mr. Warren Smith has done everything from supply birds, listen to me vent, provide guidance, tell me when I was being an idiot, etc. etc.!

He is everything anyone could possible want in a mentor and I would suggest to anybody that they listen to what he has to say (let alone throw down some cash and get in line for some of those Ludo babies that will be coming out of his loft soon!)

Dan

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yes, I have had Renee give me some advice also, I have won a few young bird races,
I have also took third in the first race of old bird, and first and second in the third race.
Thanks to Renee for telling me about open loft.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I got my first homers from J.F. Morgan. The majority of my 'firsts' in breeds came from him. If it weren't for the homers, well, I wouldn't be racing now would I :p I've still got one hen left of his, and quite a few young and old birds who have some of the blood in them. I'm pretty sure these were just plain ole homers, but the babies from those plain ole homers, are doing pretty good as racers.

Now on to the racing part. I got my first official racing pigeons from Renee as well :) Both the birds I won with last year had a parent from her. I've had a lot of help learning from my club members, and I'm glad to have them. I couldn't ask for a better group of guys to race with. According to my dad, since I've start racing, I've gained another uncle and several new grandpa's, LOL. Also in my combine, is Guy Richardson. Not only has he given me a lot of advice, but he's given me some great birds too.

And last but not least, there's one more person I need to thank, and that's Matt Dewitt. He's taught me SO much in the past year, a lot of which has really helped me. It would have been hard to do this without him. I'd also be a bit bored, since we talk about pigeons 24/7 :p He's my best pigeon buddy :D

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I have learned much from a few key people. The most influential would be Vern Crawley of Durango Colorado. If not for him I would not be where I am today. Also the guidance of all in Pigeon Talk has been beneficial.

Others that have helped me are Gary Miller and Anthony Tapia of the Albuquerque Club, Glen Gleason from Grand Junction Co, and Mark (Ace) from up North.

Randy

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I have quite a list. It would go something like this. Ken Munson (Whitesnmore), Randy Hill (Hillfamilyloft), Richard Clark of Top Gun Loft, Ed Minvielle of Siegel's Pigeon Supply, Larry Fatalski of Detroit Mi. and The late John Longaker from Origon who was my AU mentor until his passing last year.

There are many others who have helped guide me in the right direction. Just to list a few of them. Yes, Thank you Renee!!!, The FM Club race sec. Bob Kinney and Warren Smith. Warren even Helped more than he wanted to. :rolleyes:

Ace

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Wind, there is much to be said about Gleaning your own info. and Learning on your own. I had no real mentor, just a whole lot of people that i could ask a Question or two of now and then... Some times being Self taught is an advantage... Dave;)

·
Registered
328 Posts
My main mentor would probably be Pipa.be :) But first came Gary Hegner he guided me through meds, feeding, widowhood, doublewidowhood, and many more things i couldnt have figured out myself.He probably gave out close to 400+birds in a 10yr span since ive known him to kids wanting them. Then he helped us build a club from scratch, we were just a bunch of kids from the GHETTO and he had a good heart to help us boy'z out and i thank him for this till this day, now everyones all grown up and can hold their own on the race sheets.

Also cant forget about this forum thx for being oh so kind to everyone guys!!!!
Learning as we go.

Heres a PAT ON THE BACK to all the kind people in here

:) :)

Xiong

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Lots of people posting here. My mentor here locally is Steve Schnitkey, my AU mentor Tim Raess and brother Tony, Tad Fliczkowski, Jim Gabler, Don Kelsey, Linda (red rose lofts), and Vince Janson. All these people gave me some very nice birds and I thank them greatly.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
It's Sam Barfield's fault! He gave me a basket and two white birds for my daughter to release at her wedding two years ago June. I was hooked that day and have been since. Sam is my mentor, adviser, and bird supplier; but this forum is also my mentor and adviser. Lovebirds, spirit wings and Trees Gray have advised me the most on the care and love of birds, SmithFamilyLoft and learning the most on breeding and tracking, Luckyt on hawks, but mostly everyone here has an opinion and desire to help. Sam told me I could ask 100 pigeon owners and get 100 answers. So Luckt is right about gleaming your own info, and this forum is a wealth of information is which to gleam from.

I thank you all,
Tony

·
Registered
245 Posts
My mentors have been my brother, who got started before I did and he was having too much fun for me not to get involved, and a man named Homer "Mac" McEwen in Lincoln, NE. He and my brother gave me most of my original Sions and helped while I was making my mistakes! He has since passed on and I miss him greatly!

Ralph

·
Registered
628 Posts
I received help from out of area guys such as Warren Smith, Bruce Hammond and Steve Mistler. Not just with birds, but advise and with encouragement. A Mentor is almost a must to be successful in this sport.
Ken

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I wish to thank my brother's friend Marvin for being my mentor. He is the person who gave me my pigeons here in America resurrecting an old hobby. I also wish to thank the forum members at PT here because I consider you all as my mentors. And to those people who made pigeon websites that everyone can read I give my thanks as well. Thank you to George Simon as well for giving me some pigeons.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts