Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I woke up to find the squab and the father missing from the coop. The only thing left was a wing that I found inside a pool of water/blood where the pigeons would drink from.
The mother pigeon flew away when the squab was 7 days old and the father did a great job raising it. It was 3 weeks old and doing well when this tragedy happened.
Was it Racoons? Rats? I must admit that my coop was not built strong so whoever killed the pigeons pulled the wood where the nails came off and they were able to to get in through that opening.
Having an idea of who killed my poor pigeons would help greatly.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You're right...probably a raccoon or a rat. I don't know where you live but a weasel will do the same. It'a not their fault...just trying to find a meal and if your coop was not built strong....

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
what a horrible thing to have happened and a hard lesson learned :(

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
This morning I woke up to find the squab and the father missing from the coop. The only thing left was a wing that I found inside a pool of water/blood where the pigeons would drink from.
The mother pigeon flew away when the squab was 7 days old and the father did a great job raising it. It was 3 weeks old and doing well when this tragedy happened.
Was it Racoons? Rats? I must admit that my coop was not built strong so whoever killed the pigeons pulled the wood where the nails came off and they were able to to get in through that opening.
Having an idea of who killed my poor pigeons would help greatly.

Thanks,

Dan
Hard to say, but it is apparent that your loft is not secure. It's a hard lesson to learn, and unless you secure your loft from predators, then most likely, this won't be the last visit for a nice meal. :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your replies. Before I go out and get another pair, I am going to make some adjustments to ensure the coop is secure. I have one more question, I heard ***** have razor sharp claws/teeth. Will they be able to cut through the poultry net I used on the coop? (They didn't cut it this time because they were able to get in a different way. Wood got loose)
This link is a video I took of the father feeding the squab when he was just 6 days old. You can see what the wire looks like on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgAd5UtS5tc&feature=plcp

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you all for your replies. Before I go out and get another pair, I am going to make some adjustments to ensure the coop is secure. I have one more question, I heard ***** have razor sharp claws/teeth. Will they be able to cut through the poultry net I used on the coop? (They didn't cut it this time because they were able to get in a different way. Wood got loose)
This link is a video I took of the father feeding the squab when he was just 6 days old. You can see what the wire looks like on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgAd5UtS5tc&feature=plcp
They can tear thru chicken wire like it is aluminum foil.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
That was certainly a racoon and not a rat. "Razor sharp" maybe an exaggeration but they are smart and strong. Definately use well secured hardware cloth.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
They can tear thru chicken wire like it is aluminum foil.
I have heard enough stories to believe that you are most correct. This is where people run into trouble, they underestimate the power and strength of these animals.

Talked with people locally, who thought a board or block of wood in front of trap is "securing" the loft, only to find out they can tear tear the boards off the wall to get to an "easy" meal, and tear off chicken wire like it was nothing.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Get the heavy hardware cloth 1/2 inch is fine. Make sure it's on there securely.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will go to Home Depot and see what they have. Per your last suggestions, I will most likely use the 1/2 hardware mesh. Hopefully they have it. Thanks again to all who contributed in helping a guy that's clueless but who wants to do the right thing :)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Home Depot carries it. Sometimes it is in the garden section and sometimes it is in another section (usually close to the rain gutters etc.). At least that is my experience.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
If you can't find the heavier gage in 1/4 inch, I would go with the 1/2 inch and double it with 1/4 inch, because half inch still allows alot of predators in the coop.

Our Home Depot has hardware cloth in the building/lumber area.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I have both 1/4" and 1/2" hardware mesh. But found that the 1/2" is stronger.
It's very difficult to find heavy gauge 1/4" hardware mesh. Around here it has to be special ordered and its VERY expensive.
You have to order the heavier weight hardware clothe around here too, as it isn't used all that much. That's why I went with the 1/2 inch, but I like it better anyway, and have had no problems. Unless you have thin snakes to worry about, don't really think anything else is going to get in. You can buy the larger rolls at regular hardware stores, rather than Lowe's or Home Depot.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
You have to order the heavier weight hardware clothe around here too, as it isn't used all that much. That's why I went with the 1/2 inch, but I like it better anyway, and have had no problems. Unless you have thin snakes to worry about, don't really think anything else is going to get in. You can buy the larger rolls at regular hardware stores, rather than Lowe's or Home Depot.
I get my 1/2" at Home Depot (better price than Lowe's). I've had no problems with the 1/2" mesh. Don't have anything small enough around here to get thru it :)
I also planted Peppermint around the flight cage last year...said it repels rodents and insects. This year it came back (tenfold!!) by itself. I have noticed the strong scent it gives off and no bugs in that area!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts