Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...........so many young birds?
Since I have put my yb's into my new loft, (started out with nine, and now I only have six) I have lost three birds. One I thought might be to wing strong, and that bird didn't come back the first time loft flying. The other two I have have lost, have been doing good flying with the rest of the birds, but I just seem to be losing a bird here and there.

Do many of you lose yb's when they first start loft flying?
Is it because they get to adventurous, and go out to far, and than get lost?
Last night I swore I saw this bird that didn't come back with the other birds routing, but after about 20 minuets of flying it was no longer there. I suppose a BOP may of gotten it, and my other birds, but I have not see a BOY around for a long time.

Just a bit frustrating :mad:

· Registered
20,303 Posts
I bet there is a hawk around your area some place, that is what I would guess, they(yb's) do fly off sometimes, but they come back too, so do we really know if they are just flying some place haveing a good time, not really, so it is either one or the other.

· Registered
15,608 Posts
Yes, sometimes we do loose birds when they are first let out of the loft. I know this year, when I let my birds out the first time, my favorite bird (that was my first mistake..:rolleyes:) got up high, headed west, and I have never seen her again. That was back in March. I've lost 3 others since then. They do get wing strong if you hold them too long. Hawks are out there...........who knows where they go or what they do when they're out of our sight?
You can't get frustrated though, because as long as our birds are allowed to do what God intended for them to do........fly........things will happen to some of them.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can't get frustrated though, because as long as our birds are allowed to do what God intended for them to do........fly........things will happen to some of them.

I know. But I wanted to get my breeders separated so they didn't have more than two or three hatches of yb's. So I have the six in the loft right now, and five that are a few days from being weaned, and than I have five more that are a week old. Once they are old enough I will probably stop the breeders form raising any more babies, and enjoy the ones that I have :)

· Registered
1,411 Posts
In my experience the fewer birds you have lft flying the more loses you have.
I lost birds when I first let them out but I only had a handful like yourself.
Now that my young bird flock is up to 36 birds I havent had any fly offs happen.
I think the bigger the flock the less fly offs you have as pigeons are flocking birds and would rather be together than separated.
When its just a couple of pigeons flying around and something spooks them and they get separated when they are that young they might go to far away from the loft and cant find their way back home.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well today before I let out my birds to loft fly, I scanned the area for any BOP and didn't see any, so I let my birds out, and went up into the house where I can get a better view of them flying. I lost them for a bit as they were out of sight, so I looked over a bit looking for the bird that didn't make it home last night thinking he might be out there some where. Low and behold he was 5 houses down sitting on the roof. I ran out an got feed and put it into the loft and started calling to him, but to no avail. He wouldn't budge. After about 45 minuets of loft flying my other birds came back I figured he for sure would get up with them and come home, but still no. After all the other birds trapped and were in the loft I was getting ready to leave to a baseball game. Put the dogs out an looked one more time and now he made it to my neighbor's roof top. Once again, get the can and start calling to him but he would not come down. After I went into the house he finally flew to the loft but didn't want to trap, and ended up on the ground, so I walked up to him slowly, and was able to pick him up as I was getting closer I could see he was holding his left wing a bit low. Picked him up and looked him over and he was caught by something. He has a small wound on the under side of his left wing with a small amount of blood, it dose not feel broken or displaced, as the bird can still fly, but it defiantly doesn't want to very bad if it didn't want to drop into the loft through the drop trap were he would have to fly a bit, but he was able to fly back home :). I put some neosporin on it and will check it in the A.M. Glad he is back safe and sound.

· Registered
20,303 Posts
Well today before I let out my birds to loft fly, I scanned the area for any BOP and didn't see any, so I let my birds out, and went up into the house where I can get a better view of them flying. I lost them for a bit as they were out of sight, so I looked over a bit looking for the bird that didn't make it home last night thinking he might be out there some where. Low and behold he was 5 houses down sitting on the roof. I ran out an got feed and put it into the loft and started calling to him, but to no avail. He wouldn't budge. After about 45 minuets of loft flying my other birds came back I figured he for sure would get up with them and come home, but still no. After all the other birds trapped and were in the loft I was getting ready to leave to a baseball game. Put the dogs out an looked one more time and now he made it to my neighbor's roof top. Once again, get the can and start calling to him but he would not come down. After I went into the house he finally flew to the loft but didn't want to trap, and ended up on the ground, so I walked up to him slowly, and was able to pick him up as I was getting closer I could see he was holding his left wing a bit low. Picked him up and looked him over and he was caught by something. He has a small wound on the under side of his left wing with a small amount of blood, it dose not feel broken or displaced, as the bird can still fly, but it defiantly doesn't want to very bad if it didn't want to drop into the loft through the drop trap were he would have to fly a bit, but he was able to fly back home :). I put some neosporin on it and will check it in the A.M. Glad he is back safe and sound.
If he has a puncture wound it could get infected, I would isolate him and put him on antibiotics for wounds just to be safe. unless you know for sure there is not a pucture....glad he is back...breaks your heart thinking he was having a hard time....brave little guys are'nt they.

· Registered
134 Posts
We are going thru similar stuff over here, have had the birds loft flying and lost one since March, then this week there has been thunderstorms and misty charged atmosphere, and whilst they have not been let out during any storms I think the weird atmosphere has played havok with them as we are now 5 missin in the last 4 days, today is sunny so God willing some will return. We do have a not so friendly neighbourhood hawk though who try as you might does pick some off from time to time, easy pickings because a number of gardens where we keep them have pidgie's.
Hopefully yours will return and our's too a little older and wiser and healthy!

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If he has a puncture wound it could get infected, I would isolate him and put him on antibiotics for wounds just to be safe. unless you know for sure there is not a pucture....glad he is back...breaks your heart thinking he was having a hard time....brave little guys are'nt they.

He definitely has a puncture wound :( . Not huge, but there is one there. What are some antibiotics that I could get for him?

Brave, ya. Not sure how far away he was when he got hit by a BOY, it took some time for him to get home after I saw where he was, and now in the loft he wont even fly up to a perch (I will isolate him and get him on some meds). I think it might hurt or be a bit uncomfortable for him. So ya, very brave.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.