Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 month old dove is always flying into walls. He has a large room to fly around in and spends most of his time out of the cage. Here are some things he does...

He flies a bit crooked, like his body is bent when flying and will fly into a wall and tumble to the ground

If he flies too fast or for too long he pants for a minute and then calms down

He sometimes just flies straight towards a wall like he doesn't know when to stop

Because he hits the walls, he scrapes his wings and bleeds a little (never more than a drop of blood or a stain on the wall).

I know it just sounds so bad and it is bad but I don't know what to do! He's my first bird and I raised him and he's always been a little off. He's never been a typical dove. How can I prevent him from flying into walls? Should I paint? Right now the color is almost white. He can't stay in his cage. Any advice would be appreciated... thank you

·
Registered
217 Posts
sorry but you need to take him to an avian vet...the cost will suck but hey that's what credit cards are for..he may have visual deficits or an anomaly in his anatomy that hinders his flight. He could be slightly vestibular which would throw off his balance when flying. Could be result of head trauma as a baby, any number of things....get him to an avian vet and stop letting him free fly until you have some answers..he can easily kill himself by slamming into a wall.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
How is his eating,drinking and pooping behaviour? Does he try to perch on the things if any hanged on the wall??? Is he friends with you or avoid you? Any sort of other pet?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
My 5 month old dove is always flying into walls. He has a large room to fly around in and spends most of his time out of the cage. Here are some things he does...

He flies a bit crooked, like his body is bent when flying and will fly into a wall and tumble to the ground

If he flies too fast or for too long he pants for a minute and then calms down

He sometimes just flies straight towards a wall like he doesn't know when to stop

Because he hits the walls, he scrapes his wings and bleeds a little (never more than a drop of blood or a stain on the wall).

I know it just sounds so bad and it is bad but I don't know what to do! He's my first bird and I raised him and he's always been a little off. He's never been a typical dove. How can I prevent him from flying into walls? Should I paint? Right now the color is almost white. He can't stay in his cage. Any advice would be appreciated... thank you
first is this a domestic ring neck dove? or wildlife? if he is a pet ring neck dove then,
he needs a large bird cage to keep him safe and a place to feel secure. he could have a bent keel from bashing into things, Im surprized he has not broken his neck. he can live mostly in his cage and should if you are responsible educated owner.

if this is a wild dove he needs to go to a trained rehabber to prepair the bird for a release back to where he belongs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How is his eating,drinking and pooping behaviour? Does he try to perch on the things if any hanged on the wall??? Is he friends with you or avoid you? Any sort of other pet?
He eats, drinks, and poops fine. I don't have anything on the walls for him to perch on. He is very sweet and we are close. He isn't afraid of being held and likes to cuddle haha. He's super sweet.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Trim his flight feathers on one wing so he can't fly & kill himself . Now before to late or leave him in a cage . It's his life your playing with .

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Is he trying to escape or what???
Have checked him for any balance disorders? Is he always like slamming into walls or its just an impulsive habit???
If you have him for five months then he's at home with you. And if any other pet like cat or dog or outrageous looking panting,curtain,commodity ain't spooking him then he could be mentally retarded...or have visual problem with perceiving things and distances or...
I've seen few such pigeons in the past...

Give him a cage with perches where he can hang around by stepping onto one another...
Or you can pluck out equal number of feathers(7 feathers) from both wings so that he can't hurt himself. Clipping/plucking feathers from one wing only may dislocate the wing's joint when he tries to fly. The feathers will grow back in a month,just make sure the feathers aren't raw unless once plucked they'll never grow back. Maybe he will forget slamming into walls when he flies again,if its some sorta habit or temporary disturbance

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think he's trying to escape. He never tries to fly towards windows or the door. He doesn't appear to be purposely hitting walls. I think he just has a hard time stopping himself when flying so he often hits the wall. I'm not familiar with what balance disorders are but he is unbalanced. If he tries to preen his feathers he falls over to the side 90% of the time. He needs to lean against a wall or pillow to preen his feathers. And sometimes he steps over himself and trips. His legs appear to be fine though. He doesn't get spooked by much. I can vacuum the room while he just sits on the bed. He never seems scared by it, just curious. He's not deaf. I guess he could be retarded... Poor baby

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Jimbee said:
I don't think he's trying to escape. He never tries to fly towards windows or the door. He doesn't appear to be purposely hitting walls. I think he just has a hard time stopping himself when flying so he often hits the wall. I'm not familiar with what balance disorders are but he is unbalanced. If he tries to preen his feathers he falls over to the side 90% of the time. He needs to lean against a wall or pillow to preen his feathers. And sometimes he steps over himself and trips. His legs appear to be fine though. He doesn't get spooked by much. I can vacuum the room while he just sits on the bed. He never seems scared by it, just curious. He's not deaf. I guess he could be retarded... Poor baby
This is what I've been trying to ask for. I've seen such pigeons. They were mentally retarded.
But pls tell was he always like this or he has started doing it after he became a juvenile?
If he is this way from hatching then there could be a growth/developmental problem.
I really feel sad for the poor baby...

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Like you said he slams at walls,he might have got some concussion in the head which may be causing balance disorders...
Pls put him in a big cage or clip his feathers. Oh,poor baby.....:eek::(:eek::(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like you said he slams at walls,he might have got some concussion in the head which may be causing balance disorders...
Pls put him in a big cage or clip his feathers. Oh,poor baby.....:eek::(:eek::(
He's been this way since he was a baby. He's never had good balance and he's always been off. He's in his cage right now and he keeps trying to preen his feathers, but then he falls over, gets back up, and eats seeds. He's been repeating this for the past half hour. I don't think he realizes he has any type of problem though... He's just a happy bird and every time he falls over he just gets back up like it's not a big deal. I love him so much, he's such a sweet baby. I'll just have to be very careful with him.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I don't think the dove has the problem, its the owner. IMO. keep the bird safe in his cage at least long enough for him to recoup, then perhaps you will keep him safer. Im really disapointed your parents are not guiding you with this pets care.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I don't think the dove has the problem, its the owner. IMO. keep the bird safe in his cage at least long enough for him to recoup, then perhaps you will keep him safer. Im really disapointed your parents are not guiding you with this pets care.
ummmm if she said that he falls over 90% of the time preening himself, and that his balance has been bad since he was a baby, how on earth is that the owner's problem rather than the birds problem?

I think you are being too harsh.

Yes, she should definitely keep him inside the cage because it is clear he cannot take care of himself outside. He will get him self killed if you don'y start protecting him from himself.

I'd also take him to a vet to actually know what is going on with him.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
It is possible he has a serious vision problem in at least one eye. I can vouch for the fact that a blind bird wil not fly safely - we have a couple. Also that it is difficult for a bird with impaired vision, be it blind in one eye, cataract or the result of disease.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am 19 years old, I don't need my parents telling me how to take care of animals. I came to this site so I can get some help and further educate myself from people with bird experience. I'm not perfect but I am doing my best to provide a safe and loving home for him. He is in his cage and I will continue to keep a very close eye on him.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
ummmm if she said that he falls over 90% of the time preening himself, and that his balance has been bad since he was a baby, how on earth is that the owner's problem rather than the birds problem?

I think you are being too harsh.

Yes, she should definitely keep him inside the cage because it is clear he cannot take care of himself outside. He will get him self killed if you don'y start protecting him from himself.

I'd also take him to a vet to actually know what is going on with him.
Im really not here to discuss my posts in this or any threads. best to stick to posting your own advice to the thread maker.

IMO whatever the bird has it should not be aloud to fly into walls! it's common sense, the thread maker said he/she won't put the dove in its cage, as said he is eating drinking and pooping, what else is there to do one may ask??... KEEP HIM FROM BREAKING HIS NECK BY KEEPING HIM IN A SECURE CAGE.

Im done I give up now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is possible he has a serious vision problem in at least one eye. I can vouch for the fact that a blind bird wil not fly safely - we have a couple. Also that it is difficult for a bird with impaired vision, be it blind in one eye, cataract or the result of disease.
He could have a vision problem but both of his eyes look very clear and healthy. Although, he did struggle with opening his right eye when he was a baby. He also winks a lot, but he does that with both eyes and I think he's just trying to be cute. If you wink, he winks back and he looks like a pirate. It's pretty adorable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im really not here to discuss my posts in this or any threads. best to stick to posting your own advice to the thread maker.

IMO whatever the bird has it should not be aloud to fly into walls! it's common sense, the thread maker said he/she won't put the dove in its cage, as said he is eating drinking and pooping, what else is there to do one may ask??... KEEP HIM FROM BREAKING HIS NECK BY KEEPING HIM IN A SECURE CAGE.

Im done I give up now.
I didn't mean to make it seem like I refuse to put him in his cage. He's been in his cage all day! When I said "he can't stay in his cage," I meant that I don't think he should stay in his cage all the time. He's a bird and he needs exercise and he shouldn't spend his entire life confined to a cage. I should have been more clear. The last thing I would ever want is my bird to injure himself.

·
Registered
217 Posts
As I said in my first post, this bird is obviously not normal and if the owner is that concerned then the bird needs to see a vet. If vet care if cost prohibitive for the owners or the owners are unwilling to take the bird to the vet the bird should be kept in its cage and the cage should be set up to be as safe as possible ( simple steps include putting a soft towel underneath the newspaper/cage paper or whatever to cushion his falls ) I only say this because according to the poster the bird is eating drinking and doing everything normally aside from showing these neurological type symptoms....I do believe someone should have had the common sense to step in and say " hey lets stop letting this bird out who is blatantly and repeatedly hurting himself and literally slamming into walls" So I understand both points- Sometimes birds have certain disabilities that prevent them from doing all the normal activities birds do, including free flying. Your bird may very well be one of these birds. You are obviously a very caring and loving bird owner and its very kind of you to have taken in this bird and given it this much love and attention.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts