Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. My pigeon is now 13 days old and he’s doing good. I just have a question, he will sometimes stretch his neck up and open his mouth then go back to normal. This usually happens after/during feeding. It’s not a constant thing it just happens sometimes and I really don’t know what it could be. I was thinking it reminded me of a burp but I’m not even sure if they do burp lol. I could not find anything in google either. Anyone ever have this happen?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi my baby pigeons used to do something similar I read somewhere that they do it as they cannot sweat so they stretch their neck to remain a healthy temperature, mainly when they feel hot.

·
Registered
Pigeon rescue and rehabilitation
332 Posts
I've seen that sometimes when they got a full crop. It helps them compact it down a bit. You will see it stretched out and swallowing a few times like it was swallowing air with an outstretched neck vertically. But if they do it constantly, like longer than several minutes, it may be it has something wrong with it inside it's throat (like a stuck seed, or a lesion or canker at the worse). Sometimes they will do it before preening their upper neck feathers as a stretch. Usually they will open up a wing or lift both wings slightly and pant if too hot. Some birds will tighten feathers too to help wick away heat or get watery urine to expell heat as they can't sweat.

·
Registered
332 Posts
A quick stretch and a small upward gaping of the beak is a yawn. Baby pigeons get tired after feedings. It all depends.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Anytime, glad to help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts