Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my younsters are all dying,just before the two week stage,im new to pigeon racing ,breeding ect ive treated them for samenela for i was told that maybe the cause have you got any other suggestions plz

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I think some more information is needed in order to help. Where are you located? What is the setup of your loft? What are their parents being fed and how much? Is there fresh water and grit available at all times? How many birds are together in the breeding section and how big is that section? The answers to these questions will help us help you better.

Dan

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
*my younsters are all dying,just before the two week stage,im new to pigeon racing ,breeding ect ive treated them for samenela for i was told that maybe the cause have you got any other suggestions plz
I'm so sorry to hear all your babies are dying.

Perhaps you should get your birds examined by a qualified avian vet before you allow them to breed again.

* That really is a classic symptom of Paratyphoid, but there could be something else going on.

What medication/s did you use to treat the birds?

Are the youngsters showing any kind of other symptoms, did the parents stop feeding them?

Have you treated your birds for E coli?

·
Registered
216 Posts
One thing I have noticed with new people is they tend to have over crowded lofts and/or not enough nesting/perching areas.
When I first started, I had to many birds in too small an area (I was actually a collector back then) and I had the same problems. The babies where all dying. I had a friend who raised pigeons come by and he said I would either have to build another loft or get rid of some of what I had. The dominant males and females were actually killing the babies.
I am not saying there is not a disease in your loft, but please look at the crowding issue as well.
Best of luck,

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Oh boy,,,,,sorry to hear of your problems. Do you have an experieced pigeon fancier in the area who could stop by and take a look ? There are so many possible issues, it's very difficult for any of us to say with any degree of certainty, what your issues my be. :(

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Sounds like salmonella. If so maybe you can try different drugs other than the one you are using because quite possibly those bacteria are now immune to that kind of medicine you are using. We do need more info.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
What do the droppings of the babies look like ??? Any real bad odor from the droppings ?? How about the old pigeons droppings ??? They should be firm,either dark green,or brown with alot of white on top...The babies dropping should be like little marbles...Not watery,not green slime,or real mushy mush like...Take any bad looking droppings to your local vet,and have them analized for the problem,if any...And treat the birds if there is a problem...Keep your nest boxes clean...Put clean shavings in the nest bowls,when the babies are 10 to 14 days old...Keep everything in the nest and bowls as dry as possible...Clean water twice a day...Feed the parents in clay pots IN the nest,so that each pair gets an equal amount to feed THEIR babies...You have to have fresh grit in a bowl for all the birds..If don`t give their babies grit,the babies will be in big trouble..They need the grit,so that the grain the babies are getting from the parents,can get ground up,and the babies will grow,and not starve to death...Alamo

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Start giving your birds garlic and vinegar as prevention for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts