Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone �� I'm building some new nest boxes I've bought the widowhood fronts and some ply. The question is how high off the floor do they want to be to stop my birds taking over the floor of my loft. Is 5' to the floor of the top box too high (I'm 6'2) and how do I get my birds to only claim one box each rather than one bird claiming three (which I've got at the minute). Any help would be greatly appreciated ��

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
A few feet off the floor would be fine. Once they select their boxes they will start to spend time inside their respective sweet homes selecting the location/corner to lay if they're big enough.

Close off all the unoccupied nest boxes. One for each pair will teach them tolerance and they wouldnt acquire and try to dominate others.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Jass �� it's just that at the moment I've got a cock kicking out others that aren't paired, would it be a good idea when I get my new boxes built to keep him inside a box for a couple of days to give my less confident birds a chance to settle to their new boxes. The ones I've got at the minute are 18"deep and 12"wide and don't have any fronts on but the new ones are going to be 15"deep by 30" wide so nice and big for them ��

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Yeah that's a good idea to keep'em locked up in their respective boxes for a first couple of days. This will help them to identify and claim their own boxes. Once settled in their own box they hesitate to infilterate into other boxes already claimed

Yes the new boxes are gonna meet their needs. Their dimensions sounds good.
If you are serious on breeding your birds then you might wanna separate lone birds into a separate section to let breeding birds raise offsprings undisturbed. Just a word of advice

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not that serious on breeding but want them to have a bit of luxury so to speak I'm in the process of re-outfitting it and doing it up a bit because its a bit slap dash at the moment I had a deadline to get it finished or the birds I've got would of more than likely been culled ☹ I'm putting two sections in my loft one with nest boxes and one with box perches 12"x12" opening and 3"deep across the "main" wall and v perches on the shorter walls so they have a good choice. I was thinking of painting them different colours so they can find their perch easier and thought it might help keep the peace a bit lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts