Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an article recently about a racer trying out canadian goose decoys to scare off hawks. It works well for him. Then I got to thinking, and he does have a good idea there. Every year we have several geese down here at our pond until eventually one pair sticks around and lays. I've found we have noticably less hawk attacks during their stay. This year's bunch just left a few weeks ago and it wasn't but a couple days after they left, that the hawks came back like crazy.

I've always told my dad I wanted pet Canadian geese since they're my favorite kind. He'd always say "NOOOOO, definitely not". But now he's wanting geese :p We just may end up ordering some sooner or later!

Anyways, thought I'd share my latest discovery with you all :)

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I read an article recently about a racer trying out canadian goose decoys to scare off hawks. It works well for him. Then I got to thinking, and he does have a good idea there. Every year we have several geese down here at our pond until eventually one pair sticks around and lays. I've found we have noticably less hawk attacks during their stay. This year's bunch just left a few weeks ago and it wasn't but a couple days after they left, that the hawks came back like crazy.

I've always told my dad I wanted pet Canadian geese since they're my favorite kind. He'd always say "NOOOOO, definitely not". But now he's wanting geese :p We just may end up ordering some sooner or later!

Anyways, thought I'd share my latest discovery with you all :)
You can buy Canadian Geese? I thought they were protected?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose it depends on where you live. You can buy the domestic raised Canadians from hatcheries and such with a permit. For example, one hatchery I looked at said they'd send the permit with them. But you can't breed and sell the babies, or the birds you get, or you'd be in trouble.
Now if you took WILD gamebirds, then you'd be breaking the law. Same thing goes for Wild turkeys, which some hatcheries also sell.

BUT I don't think it's just the Canadians that will do the job. I'd think any kind of geese would help repel hawks.

·
Registered
822 Posts
...and if you don't want the real thing (trust me - they are incredibly dirty birds!!!:eek:) you can get decoys - either plastic stationary one or ones with plastic head/necks and a black fabric body that blows in the wind. Both work as deterrents for many things - - and don't need to migrate or be fed!

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maggie, Not sure. I guess hawks just don't feel very comfortable having huge birds around.

Wolfwood, yep. That's exactly why my dad didn't want geese in the first place. They make quite a mess. Of course ducks make a bit of a mess too, but look at the size difference :p We were thinking maybe we could set up some cheap decoys and set them up so that they move with the wind.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Just about any kind of goose makes a good guard "dog". Becky is correct about being able to purchase domestic/commercially raised Canada Geese, but I would opt for domestic geese just to avoid any possible hassle about permits and such. Ducks and geese do poop a lot and they also "mow" greenery to the ground. Geese don't dabble (make mud holes) but ducks do, and they can decimate a piece of land in no time. BUT they also decimate any snails and slugs as well as bugs and worms.

I was at Bart's on Tuesday and saw his domestic goose pair that had six goslings literally take down his German Shepard, Toby. Toby gently approached a gosling to sniff it, and both parents came unglued .. they both charged Toby and wing whacked him and the male got on Toby's back and was wing whacking and biting .. geese are birds to be to respected and reckoned with.

I know that when I have geese here that I'd better heed any alarm calls they make cuz something is wrong in the yard .. that could be anything from one of my dogs getting too close to them or a hawk or crows or a cat or even an escapee from another pen. Amazing birds!

Terry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.