Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found sick wild pigeon on my backyard he was trying to stay up on his legs but fails on ground left and right .

then he goes like want fail back and forward and was eating seed tries to pick and sometimes miss the seed to pick .
he was wet by the rain and got him inside the house and got dried , was eating but loss the balance every day get worse and worse.
i found this pigeon like four days ago and took him to the vet and they told he is going to die and refused to treat the bird .
Bu the way the pigeon now turning the head backward and sleeps on the right side only .
please advise me what to do and i thak you so much

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I found sick wild pigeon on my backyard he was trying to stay up on his legs but fails on ground left and right .

then he goes like want fail back and forward and was eating seed tries to pick and sometimes miss the seed to pick .
he was wet by the rain and got him inside the house and got dried , was eating but loss the balance every day get worse and worse.
i found this pigeon like four days ago and took him to the vet and they told he is going to die and refused to treat the bird .
Bu the way the pigeon now turning the head backward and sleeps on the right side only .
please advise me what to do and i thak you so much
Sounds like your bird has PMV. Check out the two links below. Can you tell us where you are?

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=16384

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=12250

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Birds can recover from PMV, if that's what it is and live long happy lives.
Please keep the bird warm and you may need to hand feed her until she is better. ZI'll go get you some hand feeding instructions.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Here are the instructions and do let us know what city you live in so that we may be able to find other resources for you.

You can hand feed defrosted corn and peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. That confines them without hurting them and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop the piece of corn and peas at the back of the mouth and over the throat.
You will need to feed 40-50 per feeding and every time the bird’s crop empties until you know it is eating on their own.
The crop is located right below the throat and fills up like a little balloon with food and also feels lumpy.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Is he drinking okay? He should have a small water dish that he can't fall into. If he does have PMV, with help from you until he is well again, it's true that he could still have a good life. He just needs supportive care for now. Are you interested in keeping him? It was real good of you to try and help him. Thanks. Please let us know how it goes with the feeding. It's important, as he will get very weak quickly without your help. Keep us updated on him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts