Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Not sure about the rice, I do give my birds regular brown rice.
They can have peas, corn, lentils, spinach, carrots, kale, lettuce, pretty much everything they would eat.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Is rice the only thing you have? Or do you just want to feed them rice?

Animal biology experts say that uncooked rice is no different than that which birds feed on in the wild. ie: rice fields ect.

I really have never needed to give my bird just rice. I buy good food and supplement them with all of the other many fruits and vegetables they can eat. If I am unsure and someone cannot tell me absoultely it wont hurt them, then I move on to all the other things I know are proven.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I do use white rice esp on race days coz it holds moisture. At the same time it's rich in carbs. I'm asian and i cannot live without rice on the menu. Lol i guess my birds were able to adapt it too. I give about 20% of it on race day.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Wild rice will certainly not hurt them. Wild birds of all kinds eat it with enthuthiasm, especially waterfowl. I would not feed them wild rice exclusively but if I could afford it, I might mix some in with their regular food. Not a lot of it, but a little to see if they even have any interest in it. Problem is, it costs about 6 bucks a pound and I like it and treasure it so much that I wouldn't even think about feeding it to my pigeons. I just bought 5 pounds of Native harvested wild rice and you can bet my pigeons aren't getting any of that!

Jim

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, they can eat it, but as was mentioned, at the price, brown rice would be good, and much less expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts