Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know alot of fanciers use a four-pen setup, one for breeding, one for young birds and two other pens for cocks and hens not being used for breeding. So I was wondering if you could get by with just three pens, one for your breeders, one for your young birds and one for cocks, And just keep the hens in the young bird pen. Would this work fine?

Thanks,

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
I know alot of fanciers use a four-pen setup, one for breeding, one for young birds and two other pens for cocks and hens not being used for breeding. So I was wondering if you could get by with just three pens, one for your breeders, one for your young birds and one for cocks, And just keep the hens in the young bird pen. Would this work fine?

Thanks,
It depends what you are trying to use the young birds for, If flying or thieving with the young cocks you will have problems with them pairing to the old hens and then not performing in the way you want due to that distraction. When you have young cocks and young hens you may on occasion get a randy hen but generally they do not show the young cocks any interest therefore the birds stay unpaired,, Put an old "cougar" hen in the mix and the cocks mature real fast.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts

Thanks,
If you left you're breeder pairs together and used fake eggs you could have three pens.. the younger or flying birds (or the bird you don't want to breed) section could open up to the young just weaned bird section when you are done with training young or breeding for the year and those two sections can house you're flying birds for most of the year, close the door to weanling section for when you have young to train..if later in the year they pair up they pair up and will try to nest on the floor..but you can use box perches and use fake eggs in there too as you are not breeding them.. the ones you want young from will still be in the breeding section with proper nest boxes.. that is what I do..but I do not race by birds.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I was talking about only the hens staying in the young bird pen, and all the cocks would be in a different pen.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
well I was talking about only the hens staying in the young bird pen, and all the cocks would be in a different pen.
I like to keep the cocks you want to breed in with their nest box even if not breeding..that way if you really want to take the hens out...when you introduce them again there is less squabbles over nest boxes as they will have had their nest box already picked out and breeding starts without the who gets what box.. so simplier yet would be to not remove you're breeding pairs or hens..and just use a weanling section for training a few months/weeks out of the year, then open it up for all the flying birds young and old.. use box perhces so they can play house in them and use fake eggs..but no breeding goes on in there..only in the breeding section.. when not breeding in the breeding section with you're pairs you have left together..use fake eggs utill breeding season starts again.
'

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.