Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
You have more chances with the 09 less with 08, and probably not a good idea for the 07. Unfortunately, resettling/rehoming birds have that risk of losing them. But if you insist then definitely expose them outside either with aviary or settling cage. I also will recommend sort of a training crate where they can see all sides and put them on the loft roof or even the highest spot at your place. My experience with resettling is that if they take off to the sky right away after release, they are usually gone. But if they linger awhile say the loft roof or even the house roof and observe their surroundings say 30 minutes to 1 hour, then usually there is a chance of them coming back. I have noticed that during resettling phase if the birds stay on my house roof for 1 hour, they actually seemed memorizing the place, then they take off. If they fly and circle and drops down back to the house roof or loft roof, they are semi-settled to me. The problem is to prevent them from getting spooked. Also if they get chased with a hawk at that training stage they are usually lost or gets killed.

For your 07 which had flown probably can go back to their old place. Just breed them and fly the young. Then perhaps you can resettle those 07 if you want to take the risk. The parents can be gone though.

ps. I have resettled 1-2 years olds. The older they are, the more nerve wracking it is, and the more they get lost.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.