Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, it's been ages since I was here last but remembered you gave me some great advice when i needed it.

I am not an expert on pigeons so please help me!!

I found an injured pigeon (Daisy) 6 years ago and has given another (Pidge) by my vet 5 years ago. They have been living happily in my garden aviary, they were the best of friends.

Pidge died very unexpectedly last night, obviously I am real upset but am more upset for Daisy having lost her companion. It seems sad to see her in the aviary all alone.

I feel the best thing to do is find her another pigeon friend.

Is this a good idea?

Is there anything else I can do for her? I am so worried she will pine for her best friend.

Any help will be gratefully received.

best wishes

Jade.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Jade,

I am so sorry that Pidge died!

I think it is a very good idea to get Daisy another companion, as pigeons are flock birds they feel safer in the company of others. There are always pigeons needing good homes, I am certain that you won't have to wait long. If you let us know where you are we might be able to help.

Cynthia

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Cynthia, Thanks for the speedy response. I think I remember you giving me advice years ago when I found my first pigeon.

I am in Gloucestershire (forest of dean). If anyone has a hen that needs a home please get in touch. I am willling to travel, within reason!

Best wishes

Jade

·
Registered
911 Posts
So Sorry for your loss of Pidge. Poor Daisy must be lost. I sure hope you find a new campanion for Daisy soon.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I'm so sorry for you and Daisy. Do you have any idea why Pidge died? Do you think that Daisy may need to be checked over by a vet to make sure she is ok?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi and thanks for your kind words.

I have no idea why Pidge died, she had been spending alot of time on the ground over the past few days, like she does when she is about to lay eggs. She did not seem poorly. The weather has turned cold here now maybe that didnt help if she was unwell.

I don't know how old she was, I've had her about 5 years, I think she was a youngster when she came to me but i can't be sure. Not sure how long a pigeon normally lives?

I will keep an eye on Daisy and take her to the vet if I need to, unfortunatley my local vets have admitteed knowing nothing about birds. They normally just give me some Baytrill.

Thanks again

Jade x

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

I have no idea why Pidge died, she had been spending alot of time on the ground over the past few days, like she does when she is about to lay eggs. She did not seem poorly. The weather has turned cold here now maybe that didnt help if she was unwell.

I don't know how old she was, I've had her about 5 years, I think she was a youngster when she came to me but i can't be sure. Not sure how long a pigeon normally lives?

I will keep an eye on Daisy and take her to the vet if I need to, unfortunatley my local vets have admitteed knowing nothing about birds. They normally just give me some Baytrill.

Thanks again

Jade x
Pigeons live 15-20 years and so that's why I can't help but wonder if you should have Daisy checked out.
It's so very sad you lost Pidge and want Daisy to be OK.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts

Thanks again

Jade x
you could get a fecal check and check for worms and cocci, any vet can run that test for you, it is possible there could of been an egg problem, but now that she is gone you may never know, I would get the one left a clean bill of health before intoducing another, but I would get her a new friend for sure, and be sure to quarantine the new on for a few weeks to look for illness before intro to your bird. and I would intro slowly as well.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for all you responses.

I have to take one of my cats to the vet in the morning so I will ask for his advice about the my pigeons whilst I am there. I will let you know what he says.

Just feel really sad now knowing Daisy will spend her first night outside alone. :(

Jade x

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Sorry to read about Pidge. Pigeons can indeed live quite a time, the kind of ages that Charis mentions, but they can also succumb to conditions which are not too obvious to us after relatively few years, just as can people. We had one big, strong white pigeon go suddenly from what, apparently, was some kind of heart problem, for instance. Just keep an eye on Daisy - check her poops, see if she stands in a healthy looking upright position, how her feathers look and lay... I'm sure she would like to have a companion to share her home, too.

John

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Morning all

Just seen the vet and he's given me some antibitotic medicine, just incase. He expects Pidge died from some egg related problem as she was acting like she was about to lay.

I will keep an eye on Daisy, hopefully she will be fine.

Also, cheers John for your kind advice. :)

Jade x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts