Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my loft if just a small (maybe 6 1/2 foot tall)room with a few pre made nest and perches. My birds aren't here yet and we're gonna install a trap when they do. Right now, I have two Racing Homers on the way, but I am gonna get different breeds (homers, rollers, fantails, and pouters are mainly what I'm interested in ) Will this do? Other then racing my homers, my birds won't be in shows so do I have to get all the fancy kits and stuff they need?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Okay, my loft if just a small (maybe 6 1/2 foot tall)room with a few pre made nest and perches. My birds aren't here yet and we're gonna install a trap when they do. Right now, I have two Racing Homers on the way, but I am gonna get different breeds (homers, rollers, fantails, and pouters are mainly what I'm interested in ) Will this do? Other then racing my homers, my birds won't be in shows so do I have to get all the fancy kits and stuff they need?
What are the floor dimensions?
Some of those breeds shouldn't be allowed to "free fly"

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I'm thinking . . . about . . . maybe 6 (W) X 5 (L) possibly
So that's roughly 15 birds. - You don't want to let Fantails and Pouters free fly.
Their not as "agile" and fast as homers and are easy prey for hawks. They are more for show and personal enjoyment. :)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hmm . . . what about "Show homers"?
the ones let out to fly are the performance breeds, homers, rollers, tipplers, tumblers. some fly fancy breeds, but they may not beable to keep up with your homers or other flying breeds and be sitting ducks for hawks. you really need to know how much room you have so you know not to crowd your birds. putting a trap in after the fact does not make any sense to me??? any way, show racing homers have or can be flown from the loft they were trained from when young, they will go back home if let out in another place, unless they are just weaned young trained to your loft, american show racer is not a flyer.

G

·
I think you must worry about providing enuf room for your birds first and a nice roomy avairy would be nice too as these birds you will be getting are older and I wouldnt be letting them out to fly myself but raising young from them to fly.. but thats just me ;)

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
When these 2 birds get there you can't let them out, if you do they will be gone. The 08 cock bird was raced to 400 mi. and the hen to 250 mi. I'm not sure if they can make it home but they will try.
Dave

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Wait, what do you mean it dosen't make sense? Don't you have to have a trap to let them fly
If you have homers you can let out, which are young just weaned birds trained to your loft not older homers, the trap should be in place BEFORE you get your birds, why disturb them by doing work on the loft after the fact, they need to get used to the loft as it is when they come.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts