Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hye everyone,

I have an adult pair of fantails 6 months old.
They are surely of opposite sex.I got a pair of eggs for the 1st time from them about
10 days ago ago.But I didn't see them mating (in front of me).
Now i am deeply worried that if the eggs are fertile or not. :(
I can upload the candling pics of you want.......
thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If you wait another 8 days or so, they will either hatch or not. Why would you think that they wouldn't be fertile? They usually are. Give them time to hatch.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hye everyone,

They are surely of opposite sex.I got a pair of eggs for the 1st time from them about
Nomoskhar,
A cock pigeon will sexually mature at 7 months of age. But he may take few more months to be able to fertilize eggs. A hen may/would mature at 4-5 months of age and may lay but its not good for their health to lay at such a yound age.
Usually pigeons start breeding when they're near 10 months old or above.But in my loft (too) sometimes siblings pair up and they lay at 7-10months of age. And all their eggs turn out to be infertile. Because a young cock will not produce enough sperm to fertilize the eggs. If your cock is just six months old I'm not surprised that the eggs are infertile. Getting it plain,your young hen would have been stimulated to lay because they're paired and mating but the cock didn't have enough sperm.

And one important thing,you can't be sure of their sex/gender when they're just 6 months old unless you got their DNA tested.
Also,its not advised to let young pigeons raise young because many turn out to be bad parents and don't raise first few clutches successfully. So don't let them breed for now.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hye everyone,

The eggs should not be handled too much as accidents happen with breakage and candling is not going to make them fertile. so best advice is to leave them alone as you can't change the facts what ever they may be. now counting how old the embryos are should start from the day they sat and incubated the eggs, not when layed, as the first one is not always incubated untill the second is layed 48 or so hours later. so if they don't hatch I would say at 23 days after the second was layed, I would guess they are duds. just don't go poking around too much esp at the last days, if there was embryos they are positioning for hatching and you don't want to disorient them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts