Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've got three rescued females living together in my office area. Two are standard grey ferals that were raised from 1 day out of the eggs, and one is a white homing pigeon that was attached by probably a fox or cat and is missing a toe on one foot. The two grey ones have been paired up for some time, often laying 4 eggs in one box, or 2 in neighboring boxes. Recently, the white one and one of the greys have begun to tussle. Sometime at the feeding area, but sometime the white one approaches the "nests" of the grey ones.

What can I due to reduce this stress? If I get another female rescue, what are the chances that the white one will pair with it and calm down, or am I asking for further fights.

I've also got two more females living in another room that have recovered (4-6 months ago) from paramyxovirus. I'm hoping to build a loft that that attaches to one of the rooms in my house and put all 5 in there. Can this work out, or am I asking for more fights.

Thanks,
Teddy

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
You need to make sure you have enough space, that alone keeps them from fighting. You can also separate them...and yes it is possible another bird might help and settle the other one.

Hens will pair up if they have no choice of mates, but it is not a guarantee they all will.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. If I try to find a friend for the white homing pigeon, should I look for the same type, or can they pair with a grey standard pigeon? (I'm sticking with females only to avoid having viable eggs).

Thanks,
Teddy

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Two females may or may not pair up as Sky has said. Having a lone bird is asking for trouble though. A male female pair isn't difficult, as you can switch out the eggs for fake eggs. Would be easily, especially with such a small number of birds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.