Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i just lost a hen yesterday she was sitting on 2 1 week old young, now the cock is on the young.... would the cock stay with the young? or would he leave them later?

one last question if i do have to hand feed them what do i use and what kind of food? picture would help alot :D

thank you everyone

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Others know more than me but I believe the cock will stay with the babies. He's doing the job of two so make sure he is well fed and doesn't have to compete for food.
Kaytee's handfeeding formula is available at most pet stores. I use a kitten nursing bottle and cut a large hole in the nipple so the babies can get their beak in there. But the babies will be healthier if the dad will do it. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
would ya think the cock would give up?
It is possible....., has he proved to be a good father in the past?

I would just continue to let him feed them but keep a very close eye out, they may need to be supplemented if they are not getting enough. Make sure the father has his own food and water bowl inside the nest box, he should not be stressed.

You should also be prepared to take over just in case he does give them up.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
If the cock is experienced with raising youngsters then you should have no problems with him carrying the load by himself. A tip is to add a small feed container where the nest is so that the cock has easy access to food and doesn't have to fight with the other birds to get enough to feed his young. This will also decrease the chance of an inexperienced cock from giving up.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
good advice....

now one more, do not fly birds on eggs and or babies. wait till their babies are weaned and can fly with them, or put in your yb section. If you lost her from dying, then you may have sickness in your loft and should get some fecals done.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I would watch them VERY closely and be ready to take them inside to raise.
I've had dad stay for a couple days by himself, then he gives up and starts to leave sooner and for longer periods of time. Leaving the babies vulnerable to other birds that want to take over the box :eek:
I've always had to intervene.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Im a total novice at this but I can say last year when TS Fay came through, it blew the door open to the loft and a few pigeons got out and somehow, Im guessing the wind knocked her, but my hen that had a baby that was approx 3 weeks old, got attacked and killed by my dogs. It was extremely depressing but the dad raised the baby, taught it how to eat seed from the bowl, and eventually took it flying when it was time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts