Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear pigeon people...

Today I let a lot of my homers out and not many came back before dark... Will they come back??

I tied up the trap door's bobs so that they could just slowly come out on their own time and get used to being out.

They all came out, hung out for a while on the ground(an hour or so) and then took off, flying around. The 2 older birds and 2 younger birds came back.. but the rest didnt (8).... they all have been in the loft for about a year now and have been in the aviary.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
So most the birds were a year old and had never been out before? They were probably too old and too strong we usually let birds out right after they start flying so they can't fly away so easily and get lost. You might start getting some back tomorrow you will just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Dear pigeon people...

Today I let a lot of my homers out and not many came back before dark... Will they come back??

I tied up the trap door's bobs so that they could just slowly come out on their own time and get used to being out.

They all came out, hung out for a while on the ground(an hour or so) and then took off, flying around. The 2 older birds and 2 younger birds came back.. but the rest didnt (8).... they all have been in the loft for about a year now and have been in the aviary.
That is paramount to keeping a person in the house until he was eighteen.
Now think, what would your reaction be?
I suggest you read more about pigeon's and there behaviour.Talk to local pigeon people, they would be more than willing to help.There are parameter's to pigeon flying. Learn the fundametal's first (believe it or no, that's fun too).
It will lead you onto a path, where dissapointment will not be the norm.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
393 Posts
That is paramount to keeping a person in the house until he was eighteen.
Now think, what would your reaction be?
I suggest you read more about pigeon's and there behaviour.Talk to local pigeon people, they would be more than willing to help.There are parameter's to pigeon flying. Learn the fundametal's first (believe it or no, that's fun too).
It will lead you onto a path, where dissapointment will not be the norm.
Just my opinion.
Just remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
You may indeed get some (if not all) by tomorrow assuming that when they took off, they flew around your loft first unless something scared them and ended up flying far. If they flew around your loft coming and going then you will get them all back tomorrow. If they flew one circle and went somewhere then most likely they are lost. That is my observation with my older pigeons that I try to resettle.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so these birds werent toooo old right? Looking back, they are about 8 months old. Does that make a difference in the chances that they'll come back? I saw a couple of my birds today flying around but they didnt land on the loft.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope they come back :/ I'm getting really dissapointed. These birds were pletinckx that came from nome middleton. :/ At least on of her birds came back and a couple others.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Once a bird is 3-4 months old you start taking a chance that it will fly off when it is let out. They get too strong for their own good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i lost two birds this month and they were 6 weeks old when i let them fly and they never came back ...they r alive and with wild pigeons ... i see them here n there in my area but w ont come home....they were white homers too

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
You should have released your other birds to lure those pigeons that were flying around, but didn't land, looking for your loft.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I still remember when I "lost" my young bird and it kept on passing through my loft, but won't land for 3 to 4 days until the idea of luring them with my other birds came to me. I got that bird and it was very happy. It passed my loft during the time I usually feed them. Basically I was settling that bird and a hawk chased it.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Sorry to hear you lost so many of your birds. I would guess that they will try to find their way back home once they realize that they had it good at your loft. I wouldn't be surprised if they show 1-2 weeks later since they've been with you for so long. If you say they are 8 months old you must have had them when they were fairly young and will more than likely to return once they get hungry. I would let some of the birds that returned out here and there so that if some of the lost birds are in the area they would follow them back to the loft.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everybody. I have been letting my older bird out when i've spotted the others flying around. Today I got two back. I was sitting outside yesterday by the loft and one of them came in and landed close by and then walked next to me.. It was so tantilizing and he was so close... So finally this morning I went into the loft and she was home. Later on today, we spotted one of them that flew in and landed in the tree next to the loft. After a while of trying to figure out how to get back in, she finallly was in! and she still looked great!

I keep letting out one of my birds to kind of lure the others in... I'll continue this for as long as I can. I think it will be safe to let the ones that came back out again because I think they will come back now that they know the ropes.

It think they'll trickle in. I hope... was 8 now 6 more...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry to hear you lost so many of your birds. I would guess that they will try to find their way back home once they realize that they had it good at your loft. I wouldn't be surprised if they show 1-2 weeks later since they've been with you for so long. If you say they are 8 months old you must have had them when they were fairly young and will more than likely to return once they get hungry. I would let some of the birds that returned out here and there so that if some of the lost birds are in the area they would follow them back to the loft.
I hope it would be 1-2 weeks. I'd just be happy if they got back at all!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I hope it would be 1-2 weeks. I'd just be happy if they got back at all!
From your previous post it looks like they are still around the area because the other 2 made it back. They probably saw the the birds you let out and figured out how to get back by following them. Continue to do the same thing with letting out the ones you know will come back.;)

I hope you get them all back!

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
From experience homers that got lost for 1 week have the least chance of surviving. Sorry for that pessimism. Still keep the faith and "enjoy" the moments when you see them returning back. If you have feral flock somewhere near you, check there as well. Unfortunately for these birds some can get way too far as someone might find them say lost between 1 mile to 30 miles.

I am glad that you got some back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts