Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to know if this will work for my two pairs for nesting. I set it up so they have their on personal cages out of the loft. This way they don't get bothered by the other birds. The width and length for each side is 22 1/2 by 22 1/2. [I just set it up, so I need to get the water and grit in there.[/I]

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't like the idea that the pairs can see each other through the mesh. This will cause the cocks to fight through the mesh. Do you plan on keeping them in there until they hatch out eggs?
g0ldenb0y55, that was my plan. I have a small loft and this is the best I can do.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Your birds are lovely!

You need to put a bottom on the floor of those cages, so they have better footing and also when babies start to venture.

They need a little privacy too, for their own security and also to protect them and their babies from any drafts of air, if there are any.

Make sure they have access to food and water 24/7

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't like the idea that the pairs can see each other through the mesh. This will cause the cocks to fight through the mesh. Do you plan on keeping them in there until they hatch out eggs?
All I can say, this is the best I can do, wish I had the luxury everyone else has but I don't. I love my birds and I am trying with what I have.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
All I can say, this is the best I can do, wish I had the luxury everyone else has but I don't. I love my birds and I am trying with what I have.
I totally understand your situtation my friend.:) I'm sorry if my first comment came off a little harsh, I didn't mean to be.;)

Maybe use some carboard and zip tie to add a little privacy like Treesa mentioned.;)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I totally understand your situtation my friend.:) I'm sorry if my first comment came off a little harsh, I didn't mean to be.;)

Maybe use some carboard and zip tie to add a little privacy like Treesa mentioned.;)
g0ldenb0y55, thank you, my wife thought of the cardboard and we will try that, thanks for understanding, means alot here.........:)

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
The hay will need to be changed every few days bugs like the stuff, all I use is pine needles they smash down real well and don't poke at least I've never had a bird complain
Dave

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It won't attract bugs. The worry is that straw or hay could have bugs in it before you buy it.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The hay will need to be changed every few days bugs like the stuff, all I use is pine needles they smash down real well and don't poke at least I've never had a bird complain
Dave
I have tobacco stems and timothy hay and its all clean. I also put some cardboard between the two two give them privacy.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Thank you for having an open mind to take in suggestions from us nuckle heads here at PT! I know you really care about your birds and they will award you with new youngsters soon!

The tobacco stems is very good nesting material but I use pine needles because it doesn't me cost anything!:D

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for having an open mind to take in suggestions from us nuckle heads here at PT! I know you really care about your birds and they will award you with new youngsters soon!

The tobacco stems is very good nesting material but I use pine needles because it doesn't me cost anything!:D
thanks.......;) My wife and I already put some cardboard up so they have their privacy.....;)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Smart Lady:D

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Im sorry, but when they lay and then raise and wean babies in there, they will be stuck in that cage for a long time. I understand that is all you have, but they really do need to exercise.... if you can at least take one out at a time when they are not on eggs or feeding to get some exercise that may work. but i would not like it if my bird pairs where cooped up in a cage for at least 48 days or more.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Me neither. Can you confine the single males instead, and let them out for a while each day for exercise. I'd rather confine them than the mated pairs. Confining them like that could cause them stress, and I wouldn't want breeding birds stressed.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Rackerman: I would completely line the inside bottom of those two areas with white freezing paper and tape it with masking tape to hold it because of safety reasons for the baby pigeons coming and it would also give it privatcey--you could also use the left over freezing paper at home for other things--its plastic lined inside and very manageable and can be replaced if need by--those cages could become dangerous for the birds especially ones that you band--for I lost a baby tumbler one time by its foot getting caught because of the band and it was hanging upside down--I cried and cried.
I wish you could give them more room and hope you figure out a way to get them exercise even a tent would be good--don't know what your arrangements are for I was just thinking of your idea....c.hert

1 - 20 of 29 Posts