Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Willie and I have missed You all, so I just made a little film so you can see what Hes been up to! He gets so bored if I have to leave Him at home He lands on the lamp to swing, so I started a new Game with him, to keep him busy.Oh and dancing to (Pants on The Ground( new song
Mike
Check it Out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN3VJ_7k0eM

G

·
throwing things at your bird is probably not the best idea as you can see hes not to happy about it, it looks like torture to me .

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
I agree...throwing a ball at him is scaring him. :eek:

I will toss peas to the side of Squeaks because he likes them and gobbles them down.

We also play the "green game"...I drop pieces of greens for him to grab and gobble...

Willie sure shows patience! Maybe play games on his terms??

Shi :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
i wouldent call it torture at all hes not hitting it and i think this video was very funny and you people have to lighten upp

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
i wouldent call it torture at all hes not hitting it and i think this video was very funny and you people have to lighten upp

No, Sean, Mike is not hitting Willie and I know that Mike thinks the world of Willie and Willie sure seems bonded to him.

However, I've had Mr. Squeaks AND my other non-releaseables long enough to know how they act when they are frightened.

Don't think our comments have to do with "lightening up." We are only concerned about stress possibly frightening Willie and then causing illness.

Stress can lead to illness and I know Mike would not want that...nor would Willie...:eek:

Shi/Mr. Squeaks/Dom/Gimie/WoeBeGone :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
mr. squeaks you put it in a nice way when others just said it so mean. i feel that pt members do that alot if someone says somthing or does somthing wrong EVERYONE ambushes that person and makes them feel terrible. people should try being a little kinder about how they say stuff because everyone is here for the same reason we all like pigeons. if he never picked up wille he would most likely be dead right now.

G

·
mr. squeaks you put it in a nice way when others just said it so mean. i feel that pt members do that alot if someone says somthing or does somthing wrong EVERYONE ambushes that person and makes them feel terrible. people should try being a little kinder about how they say stuff because everyone is here for the same reason we all like pigeons. if he never picked up wille he would most likely be dead right now.
Pigeons dont like things thrown at them or near them , asking someone not to is not being mean its thinking of the pigeons best interest thats all .

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok Look

Pigeons dont like things thrown at them or near them , asking someone not to is not being mean its thinking of the pigeons best interest thats all .
Willie is just playing fetch and Im not hitting Him and has no stress in his life at all Hes just a funny bird that has fun, dont worry about little Wille, Hes fine and Thanks for Your concern, and I wont do that any more He can go back to swinging on His lamp for fun

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hi Mike,

I think Willie is just adorable, and really appreciate you giving him a good home and trying to make life fun for him.

I understand that you are new to pigeons and you are getting valuable information from some of our members.

I used to use soft nerf balls to get my youngsters off of the neighbor houses-when they went on their first few flights, and that worked, they are scared of it and take it to mean that you want them to leave.

Your patio is a wonderful place for him to play when someone is there to keep an eye out. I love the swing idea, it is great that he loves it. I have often thought of hanging a flat dowel from marine rope and hanging it from the aviary ceiling and see what my birds will do. Pigeons usually won't sit on these things on their own, but if given no choice they will try to adapt and perch on the highest place they can find.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Willie is just playing fetch and Im not hitting Him and has no stress in his life at all Hes just a funny bird that has fun, dont worry about little Wille, Hes fine and Thanks for Your concern, and I wont do that any more He can go back to swinging on His lamp for fun
I agree, lighten up people. But I'm new to pigeons so what do I know? I have been known to occasionally put a sticker or piece of tape on the cat, try to balance items on the cat when it's laying down, etc. Yes the cat gets annoyed, yes it's for my enjoyment at the cat's expense. But it's brief harmless fun. Not really a big deal to the cat. They come right back for more interaction which is petting, kisses, treats... The quality/quantity of fun, loving interaction my cats get from me make the occasional annoyance insignificant. They love me and I love them. If I were to toss a small ball at a cat not used to human interactions, it would be mean as I would be scaring it. If I toss the same ball at my cats, they might be annoyed, but not scared like the other cat.

I think even if Willie is Mike's first pigeon, Mike has interacted with him so much, one on one, that he must have a sense of what Willie considers scary vs annoying. With all the positive attention Willie gets I doubt if the ball is a big deal to him. IMHO.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I used to use soft nerf balls to get my youngsters off of the neighbor houses-when they went on their first few flights, and that worked, they are scared of it and take it to mean that you want them to leave.
You admit to intentionally scaring your birds, how is this different than Mike possibly "scaring" Willie? But I imagine that you and I would agree that a nerf ball being thrown to scare pijs off a roof isn't that big a deal for your pijs or you wouldn't do it.

My point being that in the scheme of things I imagine there are much worse pigeon abuses going on such as neglect, intentionally hitting them with a car, keeping them overcrowded in tiny cages... Lets put this in perspective, is a small ball being tossed at a tame well loved pigeon really something worth making a big deal about?

G

·
You admit to intentionally scaring your birds, how is this different than Mike possibly "scaring" Willie? But I imagine that you and I would agree that a nerf ball being thrown to scare pijs off a roof isn't that big a deal for your pijs or you wouldn't do it.

My point being that in the scheme of things I imagine there are much worse pigeon abuses going on such as neglect, intentionally hitting them with a car, keeping them overcrowded in tiny cages... Lets put this in perspective, is a small ball being tossed at a tame well loved pigeon really something worth making a big deal about?
if you want to condone throwing things at animals that dont play catch I will always be here to tell you its wrong and anyone that agrees with you in my opinion is also wrong ..thats my opinion and I am intitled to it just like you.

Trees use of the nerf balls was out of necessity to correct and train her birds and as she said it worked by SCARING them .. so what you saying he would gain here by putting fear in his bird ?? anyways Im done here I said my peace like it or not .

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Mike, What did you do with the money????

The money your mother gave you for singing lessons. Don't quit your day job and take up singing. lol

I have seen many video's with Mike and Willie and its obvious he loves his bird and he is also new with pigeons. I think if people would have just said that its not a good idea to throw balls at it it would have been taken alittle better instead of saying he was torturing the bird which I don't think that is what is was trying to do. Believe me I have been jumped on for things I have a written and its not a good feeling. I have also done the jumping with a few people, but it was my New Year resolution to think before I write. min

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the comment, wait till You see My new vid, It took me days to put together, to prove Im not torturing Him

G

·
I know you love your bird and he loves you as well which is nice to see and hear since so many dislike our little feathered friends ,but most of all Im glad to hear you will not be throwing things at him , it really does freak them out.. even tossing food at birds freaks them out at times so its good that you are looking out for his best interest .. you two keep enjoying each others company as its not very often that an awesome pigeon like Willie just falls into ones lap ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts