Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this roller pigeon who looks great and healthy, eats and drinks fine, his poop is nice and firm, chasing hens and is happy. But there seems to be something wrong with his left wing. When he trys to fly it doesnt look normal, it's with effort and looks like he has artritis or something. I checked his wing and it looks fine, there's no bump or any sign of injory or anything else.

I noticed it a few months ago and since he looked and acted healthy I did not medicate him and thought that with time he will get better.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with him and how to treat it?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Did the bird run into something?

Has the bird received all his innoculations and preventions???

Have you run your fingers around the whole wing and compared it to how the good one feels? Is there a difference?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did run my fingers over his wings and they are the same, so no boils or anything on either wing. At first I thought salmonella, but again the bird seems perfectly healthy other than the one wing. Should I give him some antibiotics?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
If you don't suspect an injury, and the birds have NOT been innoculated for paratyphoid 9you didn't answer the question) , it might be the culprit. Isolate this bird from the flock and treat with Baytril.

You probably should innocluate the rest of the flock and see if you have any rodents entering your loft.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
The left wing is the most common one to suffer when there's an underlying disease process. Baytril will sometimes get it but you often have to resort to Doxycycline or an injectable Penicillin. If the joint has become altered then it might take months to restore normality after the antibiotic course. Physically compare the actual elbow joints to see if the left one is enlarged. It can also occur in the shoulder and that's typically harder to feel and compare.

Pidgey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.