Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the diff. in wing performance between longer secondary with shorter primaries OR shorter secondary with longer primaries.... any ideas :cool:

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Man, I wish I can remember the article I've just read about that. I think longer primaries are more for speed. Longer secondaries are probably more with lift. I think it is like falcon (longer primaries) vs hawks/eagles (longer or equal secondaries). I could be wrong though. I don't know whether this would help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FlightSilhouettes.svg

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay... thanks! but this one old fliers was telling me that longer primaries with shorter secondary has more trust or speed than with equal secondary and primary an i observe it to on my birds..... but the longer secondary with pointy shorter primary is the one im confused and i have a few squekcers have that wing type and they came from sprinters with big body and tick wings.... they havent flown yet...... i know one of us here has this type of birds....

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I found one article that has problem you are talking about:
http://www.auspigeonco.com.au/Articles/flightandwing.html

I might got my idea reversed. Here is what Dr. Walker says

"Secondaries that are long compared to the primaries allow for fast but energy-draining flight of short duration, while secondaries that are short compared to the primaries allow for slower but more energy-efficient sustained flight. The most efficient design for endurance racing is for all secondaries to be slightly shorter than the first primary feather (ie the one closest to the body). "

That would support your findings that your sprint birds produced squeakers with longer secondary and shorter primaries. They are for sprint!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks.....:D:D:D now i know, my sprinters are from ludo classen blood with a touch of a janssen..... cant wait how this birds do on a sprint race....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts