Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Homer male and roller female laid eggs and hatched one baby about a month ago. This is my first hatchling since I am very new to this. I also realize I didn't want those 2 to mate and have since purchased a hodge lodge of rabbit hutches (because that is faster than building a bunch of pigeon lofts.) So NOW I can separate by breed and pair up proper birds.

Anyway... it got down to below freezing a week or two ago and I had noticed that as the baby got bigger, the parents weren't sitting on him anymore and I got worried. I brought the whole family inside and kept them in a bin in the kitchen.

It is still cold out but I really can't keep these guys inside forever. QUESTION:

Is it safe to move them back outside?
I am putting them in their own hutch with no other birds so no one messes with the baby.... OR should I put them in with others in the hope that others will feed the chick? I was more worried they may hurt it.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Heaters in lofts? Blocking wind?

Do you cold weather folks put heat lamps on in your lofts? Or block them in so they can't go outside? That all seems neurotic to me, but of course I'm considering it.

I have peacocks and chickens outside all year round and at some point put heat lamps out. They completely avoided the heat lamp area and the enclosed area and would perch out in the open with icicles forming on their tails, so I gave up trying to heat those birds.

I'm worried about my newest baby pigeon and really all of mine. They all have the option of going out to their flight cage or staying in, and I've seen them out during the cold of the night sometimes... so I'm guessing I shouldn't have to worry about it.... but I'm just not sure.

I do have heated water bowls for them and have hay down in the nest boxes and floor for them if they need to huddle up.

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hi, Welcome to the pigeon hobby
I tell you Pigeons Talk is the best place to learn about pigeons ..

yes when they get bigger and their feathers grow out the parents cannot put them between their legs and the squabs can adjust their body temperature as they get bigger and older until they reach 2 or three weeks the mother stop feeding them and get ready for another round of eggs (you should not worry about that either).

and Also you shouldn't worry about the temperature because healthy adult pigeons can stand down to -40 C°, I'd put them back in their loft/cage, make sure it is ventilated so you can open it in sunny days to let fresh air and sun get in, fanciers add extra corn to the feed mix to help their pigeons gain energy and warmth, I personally don't use a heat lamp as it gets to 0° C sometimes but my pigeons seem to be just fine and even fly around.

I wouldn't also cross a homer to a roller for plenty of reason such as that the hybrids will neither home/fly as good as a homing pigeon nor roll/perform like a roller... etc

Good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Abdulaki... I love that you are in MOROCCO and I'm in IDAHO and we can both talk about pigeons :)

Yeah, I didn't intend to breed the homer and roller, but I'm new and was so excited to see eggs that I didn't want to take them away and I also didn't really understand the difference in them. Now I get it and will separate the various breeds and monitor who is breeding ! :)

·
Registered
838 Posts
at this time of the year, buy some fake eggs. Pigeon do breed in the winter if giving the chance. I suggest buy fake eggs and replace the eggs until spring come and you can start breeding again. Since its a lot safer to rearing babies than in the cold winter.

yes, parent birds will not sit on their babies around 2+ weeks old but they do come and perch next to the babies at night time. At one month old, the baby will have enough feather to keep itself warm. i will not worry but if you are not sure, why not keep them inside for 1 week before putting them back outside in their loft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts