Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently was at the bird supply store and saw in the pigeon cage/loft a couple of pigeons sitting on the ground. The main one I was worried about originally was this small racer pigeon. He was much smaller than all the others, and had some new feathers growing in on the top of his head (I thought it was an injury at first but my mom thinks he's going through a bad molt) When he walks he sort of waddles, and has nearly no balance, stumbling, tripping, and occasionally face planting. He's also a very ratty looking bird, with messed up feathers. When he stands still, he seems to shake a little as well.

The store worker had said that they were planning on euthanizing him, because "a 3 dollar pigeon isn't worth the vet bill" :( so I (being the overly impulsive, and sympathetic dummy am I) bought him and the pigeon he seemed to be bonded to the next day.

His lady birdie friend, is a king pigeon (her size just makes him seem so much smaller) who I found out after buying her has some very bad leg issues. The bird store worker had said she just had a broken leg, but I didn't see any actual breaks, bends, or injuries on either leg. When she walks she has her legs set very far apart and just doesn't seem to hold her weight well. Her wings seem to be in working order, and she has enough energy to give me a fight when I was trying to check on her legs, but when she walks she stumbles and trips, eventually finding a spot to plop down and not move from.

I'm thinking that they either have very severe vitamin B12 and D deficiencies or a disease, as the cage/loft they were held in was in a dark garage type area (in the far corner of the garage, so the pigeons go the least sun out of all the birds) and they were on a very simple bird seed diet. Their cage was also extremely dirty, the racer's feet were coated in dried poop, and the king's whole bottom side was dirty from sitting on the floor in there.

I'm going to buy vitamin supplements soon, but I'm not sure if they might have something worse. I'll post pictures of them tomorrow, when they're awake and maybe see if I can figure out how to post videos, to show how the racer walks.

Does anyone have any clue what this could be? Could they have something that could be potentially contagious or fatal to other birds/pigeons?

Also does anyone know of any reliable avian treating vets in the Anaheim SoCal area?

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Thank you for helping them. Would isolate them from other birds to be on the safe side. Please post photos when you can. I have heard good things online about Dr Nemetz at the Bird Clinic in Orange but have no personal experience with him.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
They probably have a calcium/D3 deficiency and probably more, due to lack of nutrients and sunlight, however they still need to be supplemented.

Pictures definitely will help figure out what is going on with legs, the bird may have splay leg.

A good pigeon seed mix and Probiotics are in order to help get their gut bacteria back on track and get them to better health..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the responses! I'll look up the bird clinic! Now that I've cleaned them up a bit and actually checked them out I've noticed everything is more severe than i first thought. The king pigeon does look like she has splayed legs, but she also has something bad going kn internally. I'm not sure if she had a bound egg tjat broke or has something wrong with her liver but she just pooped out a small amount of yellow fluid. Only happened once so far. The racer has a tag that says he's about a year old and is going through a an awful molt that's being made worse by bird lice and I think pigeon flies (something flew out of his feathers but i squished it before I could really look at it) currently treating their lice with borax baths and giving them calcium and B12 supplements. I'm honestly not sure if they'll both make it :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some pics. I'll work on getting better ones and a video of them both walking soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
The white pigeon looks like he has wounds. Did he get attacked by something, bird, cat, hawk? He may need antibiotics esp if he was bitten by a cat. Thank you for helping them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts