Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
July of '07, I brought in a terrible Canker-Mouth Pigeon...long story short, we got things cleared up, but, they lost quite a bit of Bone in their lower Beak, and, the Beak slewed sideways and sort of curled a little and was 'rubbery'.

They had no luck trying to peck, and, I had no luck trying to re-train them to peck in a way where they WOULD have success.

So, we did 'Seed Pops' every day, or, twice-a-day, for the last three years and four months.

Well, a few days ago, they had ceased to be assetively flying over to me for Chow Times, and if caught did not seem receptive to Seed Pop time, and, I realized they also had a Mate, and a secret Nest and were hiding out with their Mate most of the time.

In fact, when I was looking for them to do chow time, I could not find them all day, and was really concerned about where the heck they could be, and, if they were alright.

Finally figuring out the score, and the location of their secret Nest, I'd grab them ( I think 'Twismo' is a Hen ) , check their Crop, and, by golly, they had Seeds in there and were not weak or hungry or in any way emoting a desire to be fed.

Somehow, they must have learned to peck again with their 'rubbery' wangley Beak!

Been a week now, and, they are going strong with no feeds from me.

Old images here, and, a new image later tonight or soon, if I can catch them to do so!

http://public.fotki.com/PhilBphil/july-3rd-2007---can/

Once they got a Mate and a Nest going, and somehow, learned to eat by themselves...
Wow, have they gotten WILD and just fly away from anything to do with me now!

Their 'look' seems to say they do not want me messing up their situation!

Maybe their Mate had said "Look Twiz, it's either HIM, or ME!"

I lost...

Lol...

Phil
Lv

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I had a Trade Show ( had to be goner five days ) to to in another State, I drove, and just brought her with...set her Cage on an box on the passenger Seat, and, she really enjoyed it.

Had to go through some homeland security check point things, and, I just said " Pet Pigeon"...they just nodded, waved me on...

We'd pull over, do some Seed-Pops of fourty fifty Seeds worth, continue on.

The Motel was fine with her being in my Room, in her Cage, though of course I let her fly around when I was in the room, and, I'd just pick up after her, which was easy.

At that time, she would not really let anyone else Seed-Pop her, and, the person I had arranged to stop in here each day to do or check feeds and waters, was not able to do it confidently...as well as that Twiz did not want them to do it, so...Lol...

She's always been a really delightful presence here.

Got out a few times by accident, and would be out among the ferals furiously pecking with no success, and, would not want me to catch her, but, she'd come back in after a few days, and, fly over to me for Seed Pops.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Wow. 2+ years of hand-feeding, daily ? You should be sainted. Must be a very nice feeling to see her eating on her own...makes one feel like a proud papa, I would think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.