Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just been for a walk with my son and found a wood pigeon at the side of a busy road (looks like its about 20 - 25 days old going by some photos ive seen). It looks much like an adult but has some quite a few fluffy bits showing through its feathers. The nest seems to be about 25 feet up a tree and the bird was just lying next to the road side (under the nest). I managed to persuade it to go under a hedge away from the road and its stuill there. I first thought it was an adult that had been hit by a passing car but then noticed the fluff.
Could any body tell me if i should leave it alone or bring it home?

I have reared ferrel pigeons before that have been found and they have all been fine so am not a complete stranger to doing it but just dont want to move it if its parents will take care of it.

I fear it will be gotten by cats if i leave it over night in the hedge as it doesnt seem to be moving if anyone/ anything goes near it.

Thanks for any help
Jon

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
As a rule, parents recognise their own young away from the nest once they are fledged juveniles, not sure if that is the same for wood pigeons. If the bird is likely to be in danger, exposed to predators, I would definitely bring it in to be safe.

See if it will eat thawed and slightly warmed frozen peas Young woodies often develop a taste for them.

This site (link is to wood pigeon page) also has an excellent section on care of baby and young pigeons, though you will probably be aware of most of it.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
As a rule, parents recognise their own young away from the nest once they are fledged juveniles, not sure if that is the same for wood pigeons. If the bird is likely to be in danger, exposed to predators, I would definitely bring it in to be safe.

See if it will eat thawed and slightly warmed frozen peas Young woodies often develop a taste for them.

This site (link is to wood pigeon page) also has an excellent section on care of baby and young pigeons, though you will probably be aware of most of it.
^^^ http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/rescuecentres.htm

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Have you got it indoors? It would be extremely vulnerable on the ground, the local foxes will soon find it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts