Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
14-15 day old Wood Pigeon Found essex uk

Name: Woody
Found: Woody fell out of a friends tree yesterday(17th august). The nest is too high to put woody back. The friend brought it to me as i love trying to rescue animals.
Health/observations: is roughly 14-15 days old. Seems healthy. No obivous signs of anything wrong. Bright eyes. A nice weight. Can almost balance on my finger, but prefers to sit down. Keeps warm well by itself. Likes being in a nest type thing (when i put him (might be a she) on the bed he walks untill he reaches a built up edge). He had a small amount of grain (felt like grain) in his crop. Is crop from his beak all the way down? He is preening Himself.
However, I have only heard Woody "churp" twice (in 24 hours). When I go near Woody he does this clicking thing with his beak and does a puffing type noise thing (reminds me of a snake hissing, but with a puff puff sound) (breathing seems fine when i pick him up and listen. There is no "wet" sound, it sounds clear and the beak is dry. Also He/she learches forward as if trying to attack my finger (like a snake goes to bite its pray) Which I assume is normal as he has never been in contact with a human before. and of course it does not hurt in the slightest.
I tried feeding Woody Some chick crumb mixed with warm water, as to be expected, it was very difficult to do. I made a feeder out of a plastic bottle and put a latex glove finger over the end (with a X) But he/she was really not interested (I kept trying) I re-felt Woodys crop and it felt full, but he only had around 2ml) I also gave him a few extra drops of water.
This morning i tried to feed him again, but his crop still felt full. I decided to try to very gentle massage his neck (between his beak and breast area). I notice it was actually full of air (he expelled some air and then allot of air and his crop had flattened and he only had a little food in there. So I decided to feed him using a syringe, i altered the syringe (made the exit bigger) so that i could control the feed coming out of the syringe, smoothly. He had around 10ml (although at least 2 ml was over me, him and the towel.
He keeps puffing his chest up with air, however when i check on him it seems deflated, Is this normal?

I am about to read the information on this forum, I would appricate any important quick advice that i may need now. Also i would like to know if anything i have written about woody is concerning and/or if i am doing anything wrong so far.
I am most worried about his chest buffing out, the fact he has not really churped, and that he clicks his beak.
Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
It sounds as if you are doing the right things. They won't eat from a bottle if the food is too cold, but you also have to make certain that it isn't too hot and scalds them.

You might have more success with the defosted peas method,, that often gets them eating on their own and the peas are moist enough so that they don't need a lot of extra water. .The hissing, clicking and inflating his crop are all normal defence mechanisms.

This diagram shows the location of the crop in relation to the beak and throat. (you have to scroll down to find the diagram).

What part of Essex are you in? They are better off they can mix with other juveniles at a rescue centre before release and be released as a mini flock.

If you are on Facebook we have a group called Pigeon Protection and Rescue where other members are also sharing the hand raising of fallen woodie babies experience....it is the peak period for woodie fledgelings and nestlings at the moment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I am in Saffron Walden.
Is it common for young woodpigeons to not make any chirping type noise?
I would like Woody to go to a place where he can learn to be a wood pigeon with others his age. (although i am enjoying looking after him:) )

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
They will usually only squeak when they are very young, hungry and the parent birds (or human substitute) is there to feed them, because when they are young unnecessary noise attracts predators.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
The nearest pigron friendly rescue centre that I can find is Stevenage area. Woukd you be able to transport it there?

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Wildlife Welfare
Stevenage, SG1 Hertfordshire
01438-313526
Wild birds and mammals, no reptiles or hedgehogs. Pigeon friendly.
Caroline Huxtable

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Excellent. Best phone them first, as the lady works at a vets and may ask you to take Woody there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts