Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

If anyone knows of someone I can contact who will care for a wood pigeon somewhere around N16, London, England then please let me know. If not then I'm going to need some other advice. Here is the story so far.

I went out for a smoke at about 11pm this evening and saw a pigeon being tormented by two cats. I went over and tried to keep the cats from the bird as quietly as I could so as not to scare the bird. I managed to scare the cats off but the bird did a runner. I chased and caught it as un-scarily as I could and took it home and put it in a box. I have put the box in the airing cupboard, where the boiler is, so it'll be as warm there as it will anywhere else in the flat.

I guess I should have done something with the wounds but the way it holds one wing makes me think that it is broken. I'm no vet, doctor, parent or pet owner so looking after things isn't an area I'm confident in. I'm reasonably confident with house plants, but that's about it. I figured I'd more likely kill it with stress than do it any good so I just left it in a safe, quiet box.

I gave it a selection of foods (I hadn't found this site so don't hate me) I gave it some linseed (linseed is a seed and a pigeon is a bird), some porridge oats (who doesn't like porridge?) and when a flatmate told me that sugar was probably a good idea I made it some chocolate cake crumbs soaked in Irn Bru (I said don't hate).

Another friend suggested it would probably like some water and not just sugary drinks so I gave it an eggcup full of water.

I poked holes in the box so that it could breathe and put a heavy pan lid on top so that it couldn't escape. I transferred it to the dark, warm, quiet boiler room.

Reading other stories on this site I get the idea that I'm going to need to find some antibiotics for the wee beastie and to spray some sort of topical disinfectant on the wounds. I have no idea how I'm going to administer either of these things without causing stress which is why I hope that someone can direct me to someone who can offer a better hope to Pidgy than I can myself. If not, then I guess I'm just going to have to look after a pet pigeon for a couple of months and then find someone who will help me determine Pidgys fitness to fly? Is that about right?

I did find a similar thread by a chap who found a wood pigeon in a bus lane so I have a better idea now of what to feed the thing at least and how important it is to get antibiotics. If anyone has any tips in that area I'd be grateful, or even knows a vet in my area who doesn't consider these things to be vermin, that would be awesome.

I hope I'm not bothering you all for nothing as I have a fair bit of blood on my T-Shirt. So much so that I'm not at all sure that Pidgy will even make it through the night but if s/he does then I'll need to know what's best to do.

Much thanks in advance.

Andy.

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
It wil need more than a spray antiobotic, since cat claw/bite can cause an infection in the bird's system. We use Synulox (aka Noroclav) which is only obtainable through a vet. So, I offer this suggestion -

If the pigeon did make it through the night, there is a group called London Wildlife Protection who may be able to take this pigeon and get it treated by whatever vet they have on tap.

I can't personally guarantee that they can help in time, but I do know of them and a couple of their rescuers, and know they are very pro-pigeon.

The Facebook page should you be on there is:

http://www.facebook.com/LondonWildlifeProtection

There are contact numbers:

07979417922 and 07909795064

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pidgy is still with us.

I opened the top of the box expecting the thing to timidly watch me put sunflower seed kernels and crushed wallnut bits in the dish. Not so, Pidgy has decided that s/he doesn't want to be in there any more and made a valiant escape attempt. Surely this is a good sign?

Anyway, I facebooked the London Wildlife Protection people and I'm hoping they'll respond soon. Otherwise I'm trying to find a sympathetic vet in the area who will give me antibiotics.

Thanks for the advice!! I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Did Pidgy fly/ attempt to fly when he escaped?
I rescued a woody once and his freedom bid worked. He did look active though at the time, did Pidgy?

By the way, careful with that sympatetic vet in the area.
Some don't like pigeons (Pidgy may get discriminated against by some vets, just because of his race) and some put them down regardless

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I came between Pidgy and the cats Pidgy just stayed still while I distracted the cats then when the cats were behind it, it made a bid for freedom. I'd hoped it would just fly away but it ran down the street instead with one limp looking wing.

I figured it'd just be eaten if I left it running around so I scooped it up and took it home and put it in a box with some sugary food. Then realised that I had no idea what to do with it.

Someone from London Wildlife Protection is coming to collect Pidgy. Just as well, as I've no idea where I'd get anti-biotics. I could ask local vets I suppose but I'm living in my sisters flat just now and I don't know how keen she'd be on adopting a pigeon for a two month or so recovery period. In fact I'm sure having a pigeon pooping all over her flat would be unbearable for her. hehe.

Well, I just recovered the food plate and the water filled eggcup from the box which was a mission as Pidgy is now hell bent on escape. I notice that s/he hasn't drank anything from the egg cup so it's probably really thirsty. :( I'll see if I can come up with a better idea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The London Wildlife people collected Pidgy and s/he is on the way to recovery, I hope. Thanks all for your help!

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Excellent. I saw on their group someone had been, so hopefully he'll be seen by a vet.

Well done, taking him in and looking after him :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well done Bunders, another woody saved from near certain death

1 - 8 of 8 Posts