Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there and thanks for accepting me, I have a young Wood Pigeon fully feathered but not able to fly yet ( don’t understand why ). I found it on a busy road and put it in a nearby field and waited for over two hours but no one came to feed it and it just started to walk towards the road again. Eventually I gave up and brought it home. No obvious injury ir bleeding so I put it in a cage with some seed and some peas ( defrosted ) also water. In the morning it had taken nothing. I moved it to a outdoor large enclosure which has a grass bottom. Again good water provided and other Woodies visiting but not eating at all. Next day I forced fed it crushed oats with Soy milk which it took reluctantly. I ground some seed as it would not go through the syringe. It’s now day 8 and it still won’t eat but takes a force feed three times a day. I need advise as all my previous Woodies have been adults. Thank you in Advance

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
You need to handfeed him the defrosted peas. Put him on your lap, gently open the beak and put one pea deep inside over the tongue. He will swallow. Feed at least 90 peas per day divided into 3 meals. Peas have lots of moisture, so don't be alarmed if he does not drink water. After handfeeding for a day or 2, leave peas with him. They quickly learn to eat peas by themselves and then start adding small seeds. To teach him to drink water, you can dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a bowl of water.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need to handfeed him the defrosted peas. Put him on your lap, gently open the beak and put one pea deep inside over the tongue. He will swallow. Feed at least 90 peas per day divided into 3 meals. Peas have lots of moisture, so don't be alarmed if he does not drink water. After handfeeding for a day or 2, leave peas with him. They quickly learn to eat peas by themselves and then start adding small seeds. To teach him to drink water, you can dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a bowl of water.
Thanks for that I have left peas for him but not force fed him them. Sitting him in my knee will be a challenge as he goes crazy when I even go near him

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
You can cover him with a lightweight cloth and only let the beak stick out. Hold him with your lefthand against your body and him facing to the right. (If you are righthanded). Open the beak with the fingers of your lefthand, have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside the beak over the tongue. It's easy once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can cover him with a lightweight cloth and only let the beak stick out. Hold him with your lefthand against your body and him facing to the right. (If you are righthanded). Open the beak with the fingers of your lefthand, have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside the beak over the tongue. It's easy once you get the hang of it.
Thanks , I have fed him 15 peas, should I stop forces feeding crop milk ?? I got mix from internet , soy unsweetened milk with oats blended , also what else can I feed him ??
Should I be worried he is not eating himself as he is fully feathered. Also he doesn’t fly as I tried throwing him up in long grass but he came right back down ??

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Can you post a photo of him to determine the age? No need for giving him the crop milk recipe. If he is eating the seeds, then the droppings will be brown and firm, resembling a large raisin. Have you seen him eating? Check his seedbowl to see if some seeds are disappearing. They sometimes stick to one type of seed easiest to pick up and swallow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you post a photo of him to determine the age? No need for giving him the crop milk recipe. If he is eating the seeds, then the droppings will be brown and firm, resembling a large raisin. Have you seen him eating? Check his seedbowl to see if some seeds are disappearing. They sometimes stick to one type of seed easiest to pick up and swallow.
I’m still having to feed him will send a photo once I figure out how to lol 😂
D9C55FF6-49EF-487E-8EBA-A0D1D67751D6.jpeg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Left him most of the day with food but still not eating himself. Two adult Wood pigeons in front of cage eating but he is not learning quickly. Any suggestions

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Get a dove seed mixture for him with smaller seeds of all shapes and sizes. Mine mostly start eating the red sorghum seeds first. He is old enough to be eating. It's good that he can watch the other pigeons eating, hopefully he will eventually learn from them. Feed him 30 peas in the morning and then leave peas and seed with him for the rest of the day. Feed him again in the evening if you think he didn't eat by himself during the day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get a dove seed mixture for him with smaller seeds of all shapes and sizes. Mine mostly start eating the red sorghum seeds first. He is old enough to be eating. It's good that he can watch the other pigeons eating, hopefully he will eventually learn from them. Feed him 30 peas in the morning and then leave peas and seed with him for the rest of the day. Feed him again in the evening if you think he didn't eat by himself during the day.
Yeah that’s what I’m doing , thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This Wood Pigeon still being force fed peas in the morning and at night, cage full off seed in different bowls and ground and he just not interested. Two adult Wood Pigeons feed on the seed I leave right beside his enclosure so he can see but he just won’t eat or drink. Ive had him two weeks now and it’s getting very stressful

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
That's really strange. Are you leaving peas with him as well? Skip the morning feeding and watch from a distance. Maybe hunger will motivate him to start feeding by himself. Is there no rescue centre that can take him in? At least he is a wood pigeon and not a feral, so I'm sure they will take him. Most centres don't care for feral pigeons.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts