Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple times a year my bosslady sends me to France to work for a few days. In the evenings I usually sit outside my hotel and feed the ferals in my downtime. Euro ferals have so much more variety of colors than the checks and bluebars that I mostly see here.

On this last trip, I got to see a lot of wood pigeons. Very cool bird, and I like the sounds they make too!

Why have wood pigeons not been brought over to the states? Are they considered a nuisance to crops over there or somethin of the sort that we don't want started over here?

Just seems odd that of all the exotic birds that do get brought over, that someone ain't brought back some woodies.

Pf

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Hi

Well, back when somebody introduced other 'invasive species' like Starlings and House Sparrows, I guess no-one thought of Woodpigeons, and the early European settlers who brought pigeons were interested only in the semi-domesticated birds from which ferals first sprung.

In more controlled times, of course, importing further invasive species would be a big no-no. It's possible that there are aviculturists who have woodies in collections, but they do need fairly specialized environments.

In the western edge of the US, woodies would be in direct competition with the native Band-tailed Pigeon (another, quite similar, wood pigeon).

In the UK they are often viewed as an agricultural pest, as they feed in cultivated grain fields as well as in wooded areas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts