Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couPle pair of breeding rollers i dont let them fly and there in a diffrent coop from the general population they dont have worms at this point so do i still need to worm them

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I would worm only when required or unless it's routine for you to do so .....or you suspect the birds might have them .
Where I'm located there are gentle wormers available and they are safe for breeding pairs .

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I have a couPle pair of breeding rollers i dont let them fly and there in a diffrent coop from the general population they dont have worms at this point so do i still need to worm them
It is hard to tell what kind of worm load birds have unless you have their droppings tested. If you do not do this then I would deworm the birds before you do you're breeding for the year..a few rounds a year is enough for any pair..so plan for when you want to breed ( I like early spring) and deworm before that.. then I would deworm again in fall or early winter.. that is if you do not check the droppings.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
As of now i cant see any worms
If you could then that would mean they needed to be dewormed a long time ago, having worms is normal on some levels, it is the worm load you need to check and which type larva there is in the droppings, you can't see the larva with the eye. If you want to keep the worm loads down if you do not test the droppings then deworming twice a year is what is usually done as a maintenance deworming..or a just in case basis..esp before breeding. Iam able to have my birds droppings tested and have not had to deworm in awhile..but if I could not do this..they would get it twice a year, in which the med would kill worm larva and worms in them at the time..but they can get parasites at anytime again. so keeping the worm load down is what you are after. switching up dewormers is wise too as one may not work on a specific type but another will.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Having the droppings checked won't always show that they have worms, so to be safe, worming spring and fall is good. Moxidectin Plus will kill tapeworm as well as the others, so is a good wormer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts