Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I have been having several pigeons in my balcony ( high rise ) living from many months now. Many young pigeons took birth as well. This time something weird has been happening. The first pigeon baby got dead perhaps due to cold or some other reason. The second pigeon baby ( approximately 3 week old ) was found really struggling all of a sudden - not being able to walk or even stand. I brought him in and took him to wildlife center just to have him treated. The wildlife center hasn't told me yet what happened to him. The third pigeon baby ( 4 week approximately ) who was all good and fine until mid of day today is all of a sudden absent from balcony. There is also a an egg shell empty nearby, which seems dubious to me. Can someone explain me what could potentially be the reason for a missing pigeon baby who was still trying to take food from parents. The pigeon baby wasn't seen actively flying but had feathers grown mature enough to fly since I saw him taking a 1 feet lift only once. But not he is missing altogether. His parents and all other pigeons are there but he is missing. He hasn't been back yet. I am afraid if this is some sort of predators attacking them and same thing has happened to the previous one too who was in panic or shock. Was the egg a proof that there is some predator here.

Or I am worried for no reason and this is natural for a pigeon baby to move completely away from nest all of a sudden and go on his own flying suddenly one day. So far I believed it takes time for them to be trained for flight.

There is also another really young baby pigeon in balcony who is safe in the other corner.

Thank You

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Is it possible that a rat might attack them at night? Do you have a safe railing to prevent the babies falling over the edge? It's easier for them to fly downwards when they start flying. Flying upwards is a total different story, especially in a high rise building. Usually the babies return to the nest for sleeping at night with the parents. I hope the other baby is still fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts