Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was just worried because my dad lost his pigeons from training Island to Island with them twice. We live in Hawaii so we sent them to Molokai and they are supposed to fly back to Oahu, which is the Island we're from. I am very new to this but my dad said he "used" to race pigeons which it doesn't really seem so... anyways, my dad sent out about 20 birds (last training session) and only 2 birds came back that was his....one of them really beaten up. The second time my dad sent 14 again hoping they would come back safely with nicer weather. So far none of them came back. The training was from

I am just really worried and feel sorry for him and wanted to know if anyone could help out in some way. My dad only took them out on the road for about 7 or 8 times but let them fly around the loft too. I was thinking they could just be not conditioned enough but he keeps saying "no no no, it'll be ok this time." My dad really wants to race sometime before the end of the year but if he keeps this up and loses all his birds...I don't know what to say. Someone please help.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Hard to understand it all, but it sounds like your dad needs to talk with some other flyers in your area. It sounds like he is not having the birds ready for flights across water, at this point in their training and age.

Tell your dad to train the birds more, just over land, and talk with some other flyers near him, to get their perspectives on what he may be doing wrong.

Don't get me wrong though. All flyers lose young birds occassionally. The only sure way to not lose them is to not train or race them. But that wouldn't be any fun, would it?

Tell your dad to talk with someone else on your island, that races pigeons, and to take their advice about how to train and get the birds ready.

Good luck and I hope the birds come home. Some probably will, after a few days. Some will not and they will become wild, or trap into someone elses loft, or sometimes bad things happen to them (hawks or whatever). There are no guarantees with this sport, except that you will lose pigeons occasionally. Racing from island to island is a unique situation for most of us, and we may not know the proper things to do in that situation. But the flyers in Hawaii will know. Talk with them.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hi, I was just worried because my dad lost his pigeons from training Island to Island with them twice. We live in Hawaii so we sent them to Molokai and they are supposed to fly back to Oahu, which is the Island we're from. I am very new to this but my dad said he "used" to race pigeons which it doesn't really seem so... anyways, my dad sent out about 20 birds (last training session) and only 2 birds came back that was his....one of them really beaten up. The second time my dad sent 14 again hoping they would come back safely with nicer weather. So far none of them came back. The training was from

I am just really worried and feel sorry for him and wanted to know if anyone could help out in some way. My dad only took them out on the road for about 7 or 8 times but let them fly around the loft too. I was thinking they could just be not conditioned enough but he keeps saying "no no no, it'll be ok this time." My dad really wants to race sometime before the end of the year but if he keeps this up and loses all his birds...I don't know what to say. Someone please help.

Dakine... I'm in Maui and the past month I've been spotting lost birds around my area. I have 3 in my possession right now. 2 came a little over a week ago and another 1 came today but it had a race clock band on it. Try ask your dad for the band numbers on your birds and if they come my way I'll be happy to let you know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dakine... I'm in Maui and the past month I've been spotting lost birds around my area. I have 3 in my possession right now. 2 came a little over a week ago and another 1 came today but it had a race clock band on it. Try ask your dad for the band numbers on your birds and if they come my way I'll be happy to let you know.
thanks! will do :). Yeah I dont know if it was the heat or just not enough training but at least a few of them came back. He said other people had lots of missing birds too.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Today at work... I must have spotted atleast a dozen lost race bird. They looked very tired. I'm going to bring some feed to work tomorrow so I can try feed them if they're still there. There are feral flocks that comes too but these guys stood out. They looked different with their wings down and mouth wide open gasping for air.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Got back to work this morning and went looking for them. I only spotted these 2 walking along the side of the road possibly getting a drink then I found this and made me very sad!

G

·
Got back to work this morning and went looking for them. I only spotted these 2 walking along the side of the road possibly getting a drink then I found this and made me very sad!
oh that really sucks:eek:!!! ... god I sometimes wish I could take in every lost racebird that I come across ... and I bet that if I could catch them I most certainly would :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey ezemaxima, wow...thats really tough to look at the pic you posted. I hope it wasn't one of our birds. I just wanted to thank you so much for trying to help us out. Here are the band numbers...
BB 421, BB 422, BC 417, BC 418, BC 577, BC 574, BB 575,BB 567, BC 577, BB 564, BF 568, BC 559, BB 565, BB 558, GZ 533, BC 566, BB 571, S 551, BF 557, W 561, GRIZ 599, BB 562, BB 553, W 578, S 573, BB 570, S 552, BF 566, W 579, BC 555, G 560, BB 600, BC 572, BB 554.
I'm sorry if it's a bit out of order but that's how my dad wrote it down. If you found any of them please let me know. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hey ezemaxima, wow...thats really tough to look at the pic you posted. I hope it wasn't one of our birds. I just wanted to thank you so much for trying to help us out. Here are the band numbers...
BB 421, BB 422, BC 417, BC 418, BC 577, BC 574, BB 575,BB 567, BC 577, BB 564, BF 568, BC 559, BB 565, BB 558, GZ 533, BC 566, BB 571, S 551, BF 557, W 561, GRIZ 599, BB 562, BB 553, W 578, S 573, BB 570, S 552, BF 566, W 579, BC 555, G 560, BB 600, BC 572, BB 554.
I'm sorry if it's a bit out of order but that's how my dad wrote it down. If you found any of them please let me know. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it :)
Are these their band numbers or the race clock numbers (the numbers printed on elastic bands??)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Another sad day for me.. a friend brought over a BB with a racing clock band and AU band 09 AA 11535 to me while I was at work. It was feather light and barely could move. I placed it in a box after giving it some water and hand fed some peas from the kitchen. I brought it home with me and it just died. I told my older brother about it and he tells me that he saw 2 pied checker with racing bands at work and was really weak. He gave them some water and left them but when he went back to check on them... they were both dead. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sorry I really don't know if those are band numbers or clock numbers...My dad just told me what to write down. He did say that the numbers itself is the band numbers? Does that make any sense? If not, it's really ok. It's just really sad that so many people lost many pigeons from that training session and I hope most of them are ok and at least found there way to someone elses house or humane society. Thanks for trying to help me out though, I really appreciate it. Mahalo

·
Registered
790 Posts
I would think that most members wouldn't want to see the pic.

Reti

Sorry peeps but just imagine how hard it was for me. I'm just frustrated to see so many lost racing birds plus finding them dying/ dead doesn't help either. Also the checker the man brought to me the other day died today. It was just to skinny and weak.

Good news:

I released the 2 young birds that came to my loft today. They took off and flew high and never looked back.

New news:

I have another BB that came to my loft. It's in pretty good shape still but it was really hungry and thirsty. It trapped along with my birds and I almost didn't recognized it until I notice the race clock band. I placed it with the rest of the lost birds. I'll probably let them out together sometime this week.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Hard to understand it all, but it sounds like your dad needs to talk with some other flyers in your area. It sounds like he is not having the birds ready for flights across water, at this point in their training and age.

Tell your dad to train the birds more, just over land, and talk with some other flyers near him, to get their perspectives on what he may be doing wrong.

Don't get me wrong though. All flyers lose young birds occassionally. The only sure way to not lose them is to not train or race them. But that wouldn't be any fun, would it?

Tell your dad to talk with someone else on your island, that races pigeons, and to take their advice about how to train and get the birds ready.

Good luck and I hope the birds come home. Some probably will, after a few days. Some will not and they will become wild, or trap into someone elses loft, or sometimes bad things happen to them (hawks or whatever). There are no guarantees with this sport, except that you will lose pigeons occasionally. Racing from island to island is a unique situation for most of us, and we may not know the proper things to do in that situation. But the flyers in Hawaii will know. Talk with them.
A step by step increase in the distance from where pigeons are released may help. It not only helps the birds to get acquainted to the area better but also in assessing the physical capability of birds in covering the distances. Hope the lost ones would come back or atleast lands in the yards of another pigeon lover.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry peeps but just imagine how hard it was for me. I'm just frustrated to see so many lost racing birds plus finding them dying/ dead doesn't help either. Also the checker the man brought to me the other day died today. It was just to skinny and weak.

Good news:

I released the 2 young birds that came to my loft today. They took off and flew high and never looked back.

New news:

I have another BB that came to my loft. It's in pretty good shape still but it was really hungry and thirsty. It trapped along with my birds and I almost didn't recognized it until I notice the race clock band. I placed it with the rest of the lost birds. I'll probably let them out together sometime this week.
great to hear! I just hope they find their way back to their owners...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A step by step increase in the distance from where pigeons are released may help. It not only helps the birds to get acquainted to the area better but also in assessing the physical capability of birds in covering the distances. Hope the lost ones would come back or atleast lands in the yards of another pigeon lover.
I definately agree.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts