Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been wanting to get a pet pigeon for awhile now and I've been doing a lot of research to make sure by home will be safe for them in general. I was hoping to get the opinions from some pigeon owners.

So first I want to get two female pigeon. I want to keep them inside my house. My plan is to get a large dog crate, but I also want to have them out crate a lot and not in there all the time.

My house has a sunroom and I thought about keeping the crate in there and using the sunroom as an enclosure for them. My concern is it gets hot in the summer and even hotter in that room. I also live in northeastern america so in the winter it gets really cold as well.

my assumptions is I'd have to move them to a different part of the house in the winter time because it'd be too cold for them.

• I read that you shouldn't keep your pigeons in the same place you sleep so that cancels out my room.
  • I'm not sure if everyone I live with would agree with them being in an open space like our living room or dining room(which isn't really used as a dining room). Also I don't know if those are ok spots for them to be in general.
  • My house has 2 bathroom. One with this a wide counter space that the kennel could sit on top of. It also has a window. My concerns well one it's a bathroom(i don't know if that matters), but two it's right next to the kitchen. I haven't done much research into this yet the people I live with have an air fryer and a couple of non-stick pans they use every so often. I heard that a fume they produce can be very harmful to pigeons so maybe being right next to the kitchen or inside at all would be harmful to them?

Could I get any opinions or suggestions? Is my home inadequate for a pet pigeon?

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
The sunroom sounds like a good idea. Can the windows open? If so, you can cover the outside with chickenwire or aviary mesh. That way you can open the windows when it's warm to let a breeze in. I think take it from there. If you see them overheating, remove them to another part of your home. Pigeons love to bath, so a large dish with water will help them cool off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts