Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am trying to build an aviary that is fairly inexpensive. I want a Californian style aviary and i was wondering if PVC pipe would work for the frame? I would then attach wire mesh for the floor and sides. Thanks.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
It would. Go easy on the pvc glue, I would use pvc tape. Is it going to be an elevated aviary? It is it the base needs to be wood, to hold the weight of you and your bird stuff.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it will be elevated but not one i will be walking in. Thanks for your input:)

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I have an aviary built with a pvc frame. It works well, the only suggestion I would make (and am going to change in mine) is to put metal rods through the piping on the top of the frame. When it was raining a lot and water built up on top, it did crack the two main end pieces on top from the weight of the water. A metal rod through them would make sure they don't bend/break. The glue I used has remained through two years, except for one part of one perch inside. The rest is as sturdy as can be. I used cable ties (the plastic ones that loop into the hole in the end of themselves and catch there) to tie on the wiring and have also had no problems with those, just had to replace a few here and there. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Hi I am trying to build an aviary that is fairly inexpensive. I want a Californian style aviary and i was wondering if PVC pipe would work for the frame? I would then attach wire mesh for the floor and sides. Thanks.
How are you going to secure it to the ground? Or are you going to have it off the ground? When you finish could you post photo's?
Just curious.:D

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How are you going to secure it to the ground? Or are you going to have it off the ground? When you finish could you post photo's?
Just curious.:D
Not possitive if i am building one yet i am just exploring possibilities :D. It would be up off of the ground and attached to the side off the loft with diagonal boards underneath ( does that make since?) to hold it up. If i build one i will definitely post some pictures.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Not possitive if i am building one yet i am just exploring possibilities :D. It would be up off of the ground and attached to the side off the loft with diagonal boards underneath ( does that make since?) to hold it up. If i build one i will definitely post some pictures.
Yep I understand your description, something like that might work for my doves.:)
Looking forward to photo's... if you decide to build it that is.:D

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi again Zim.

here are a few photos for you and if you go to the photobucket page you can read the descriptions if they will help you any better. The PVC aviary has no limits. I even plan on making sputnik traps out of this PVC Its strong but make sure you use short equal lengths to keep structural integrity. Its simple, white, easy to clean and keep clean, and cheap!

Good Luck!

Luis

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND DESCRIPTION

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Hi again Zim.

here are a few photos for you and if you go to the photobucket page you can read the descriptions if they will help you any better. The PVC aviary has no limits. I even plan on making sputnik traps out of this PVC Its strong but make sure you use short equal lengths to keep structural integrity. Its simple, white, easy to clean and keep clean, and cheap!

Good Luck!

Luis
Wow Luis, Look's really great.:) How long have you been using it? I alway's thought that PVC had a tendency to break down after awhile from the sun, any problems with it?
If you don't mind me picking your brain, how did you do the door? I see it swing's to open.
Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey Robin,

Thanks! This will be its second winter and so far it has been great. I do however have the aviary in back of the main loft and is then shaded half the day. Its worth to also mention the aviary is 2 ft shorter than the loft.

The door is pretty simple 4 90 deg. angles and two Ts, drill a straight hole from the floor section you wish to make the door and through the door itself. you will do this for the top and bottom. then all you need is a pair of long bolts with a few washers and locking bolts. put them through the holes you made and a simple door. i can get photos for you if you need a visual.

Luis

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Thanks Luis for explaining about the door, I think your photo's show enough of the door to give me an idea.
Thanks to your photo's my loft may not take me all summer to finish and won't cost as much as I thought.:D

Thanks again!:)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Hi Luis - Thanks for posting the photos & the link to more photos. I may be picking your brain a bit in the coming months myself. I'm want to build one on my lower deck so that I can actually have some pigeons ;) I hadn't even considered PVC pipe - but this would certainly be more inexpensive. And glad to know it's held up well to NJ winters too!

I am curious though - why would you prefer concrete or sand over the rocks. We have the same types of rocks and I was thinking that would be a good place to build the avairy. But I am concerned about build up of poo and stuff under the rocks.

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Luis, Your loft is really beautiful and your birds look happy and healthy. For those of you thinking of duplicating it...use 1/4 inch hardware cloth to make your loft safe from rats, weasels and other predators.

·
Registered
169 Posts
luis i like those pics.you know i am a plumber so i work with pvc pipe everyday and have been doing so for the last 15 years and ive never thought of building it that way but now i know and it surely looks like a great idea

·
Registered
371 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, UV (sun) light will begin to weaken PVC pipe over time. I would paint it with a water-based paint formulated for exterior use as an oil based paint may react with the pipe and weaken it.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
116 Posts
I found this thread in a google search. I want to make an indoor aviary, about 4 feet x 3 feet x 6 feet tall for a flock of parakeets. I want it walk in style and expandable in the future. The pictures posted here don't show up anymore. If anyone could post pictures or offer pointers for an indoor cage I would be most grateful :).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.