Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realy need help this is urgent! I like to go check out the feral roosts in my town and me and my friends were doing so today and we spotted a pigeon with a very bad wound. We got a large fishing net and chased it around trying to catch it until it got tired and landed and let us pick it up. We took it home and gave it a bath. It has a huge gash in its chest! It is raw and exposed! It looks a couple of days old cause it's not bleeding. I guess he was attacked by a raccoon or cat or something. He seems fine other than that he is very docile and will let us handle him he also has been eating and drinking. But we realy need help with the wound! Also his foot has a deep cut on it. It's a scab but he has trouble walking! He walks with one foot normal and the one with the scab he clenches the toes in when he walks! Please help!!!!!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
wounded

Good luck

I Hope your wounded pigeon does well. Keep him in a crate/cage so it will be safe until it heals. Also, you dont want parents to complain about droppings. Then you can keep him outside with a mate. Its fun watching pigeons raise babies. Can you post a picture of him.

How is he today? IS He eating and drinking water? By the way what color is he? As long as he is eating and drinkng he has a good chance of healing.Apply antibotic zee oinment everyday. It will heal from the bottom up.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/[email protected]/12078510765/ here's a picture of his injury. I will get more soon. Yes he is eating and drinking very well. He is a little more shy of me than my previous pigeon but he's new and probably needs some time to adjust. I cut away some of the scar tissue and excess feathers that were disheveled by the attack and were hanging off him awkwardly. I also rubbed some ZEE ointment on the wound. The wound has gotten smaller scince yesterday and I could see the little knobs of feathers starting to grow back around the wound. I also attacked a flat piece of hard plastic to the bottom of his foot so that he walks with his toes flat like he should. It does make it a lot harder for him to walk but I've read that they can get used to walking with the toes curled inn and keep doing so even after the would has healed. Oh and by the way he is a dark checkered!:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
wound

It looks awful. At least its winter and flies wont bother him. Im looking foward to new pictures in 10 days or so as he heals. Im rooting for him.

Are you going to keep him? Do you have a garage or shed that you can keep a cage in for a pair of pigeons? It would be neat to get his baby and then train it to fly with while youre outside or to sit on your shoulder.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi, Mikis343. I looked at the pics and yes the foot is bad. I have had allot of experience with foot injuries in pigeons. Firstly, my avian vet told me to NOT BATHE the foot at first. Let a good scab form on the foot, this will keep the bleeding and chance of infection down. Are you able to take the bird to a vet at all? If you cannot or you feel you would rather not, then firstly do not bathe the foot. Use a topical antibiotic cream such as Polysporin. You can clean the foot if you have to by gently wiping it off with gauze and a 3% spray-on solution of peroxide. Once clean put the cream on. You made a "boot for the foot" and I would not do that without first putting a little gauze around the foot being sure to leave the toes in their natural position, do not "tape them together in a squeeze position;" (2) add a little bit of cotton baton (3) a little more gauze (4) then: secure with surgical tape. The bird really should be given an antibiotic (by mouth) such as Baytril, an all around good antibiotic, or a more specific one that targets bone and tissue, such as Marbofloxacin, 2 drops, by mouth (0.06 ml) every 24 hours for 14 days, and for pain, if you can get it from a vet: Meloxicam (2 mg ml strength) (2 drops (0.06 ml. by mouth every 24 hours). This really helps relax the pigeon so that it heals fast as Meloxicam is an anti-inflammatory. Make sure you keep seed and water close to the pigeon so that he does not walk around much. KEEP HIM IN A SMALL CAGE, OFF HIS FEET FOR THE FIRST WEEK. He will heal faster this way. Also at night, I would put him on a towel made into a doughnut shape. Let his feet go through the hole. This will keep the weight off his feet. Make sure he has a soft towel inside his cage all the time. Well, good luck, Mikis343 and keep us posted!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wound on his chest is getting smaller and I have been applying ointment evry day but his foot has gotten worse although He walks with it flat now it is very swollen and discolored what should I do? I will post a link to a pic of his foot.

·
Registered
126 Posts
foot

walking with it flat is a good sign. He might need antiibotics. petland discounts or petco might have some for canaries or parakeets, that you can use. try to get tablet form so you can break it into 1/2 or 1/4's depending on size of tablets. Then you have to research online how much to give a pigeon. its better to give direct rather than in water. If he is eating good and producing good firm stools. i would let him continue to heal on his own. The antibotics might aggravate things and make it worst with digestive problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts