Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Tampa, FL and have recently seen an injured pigeon (not in my custody). He frequents the spot where employees are eating, he can fly but his feet are very messed up, I think he may have a broken toe and other problems I couldn't see. He usually walks a few steps then lays down and repeats this process while he's making rounds up and down the lunch area. I would like to find help for him but I don't know what to do and I'm afraid eventually his inability to get around may kill him.

Pigeon Location: James A. Haley Veterans Hospital, bird hangs around the catwalk outside.

13000 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.
Tampa, FL. 33612

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for posting.

Since you did, you need to take action asap and get this bird contained. It needs immediate help. It can starve, be killed by a predator, or die a slow death. Get a snall carrier or kennel and see if you can pick the bird up, we will help advise from there.

Please check this link and check for foot injuries, it could have string wrapped around its foot or other health issue that needs human intervention.

http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/commonailments.htm

Follow this link first: first responder info: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f108/basic-steps-to-saving-the-life-of-a-pigeon-or-dove-8822.html

Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure how to get it into an actual carrier, I don't know if it will just walk in if I put food in there, not to mention there are other birds that might wander in. I will try to trap it but I don't know how successful I'll be.

After I catch him (if I can) would it be ideal to bring it to a vet?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
If the bird is weak and/or lays down just gently pick him up or lure him into a carrier using a little bird seed.

You can bring to an avian vet but it would be best to take him home and get him stablizied and then find time to get a bird rehabber or a "pigeon" friendly avian vet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts