Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boo Boo's massive chest wound is healing beautifully. Today is her 10th day on antibiotics!!
My Vet x rayed her lame leg and said there was some bone loss and wants to continue antibiotics for 6 weeks to see if the bone infection heals. This bird is a wild Feral Pigeon and she can fly. Has anyone treated a leg problem like this?
Thanks,
kathleen
Also because of her open chest wound, she has been confined to a small area so she wouldn't fly. I feel she needs to have more area (2' square)? so she can fly a little. Is there a good way to catch them? she fights me everytime I reach for her to administer her antibiotic.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
The best way to catch a Pigeon is after dark because they can't see well and they are easier to nab.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Slowly from below or from the sides. Talk to her and calm her down when in your hands. Charis is right about the dark, but it may be a problem if you need to administer antibiotics 2 or 3 times a day.:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
talking softly and singing

She needs antibiotics twice a day. Has anyone dealt with a lame leg that eventually healed? There is a large callous that seems to be seperating, like it will eventually come off? Perhaps that is part of the problem?
Thank you,
Kathleen

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
if she has some bone loss and infection in her leg, i would limit her mobility, you don't want her to break that leg.
i would also add calcium to her diet and at least 2 hrs of natural sunlight, or a quality reptile uva light

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.