Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As all of us know, when you want to fly your birds you must be well aware of who is around. I have watched many times on here people not listening to the warnings of other's about letting there birds out this time of year to fly. There has been many times I have shook my head in horror that there have been some that have still done so. I know in the spring I will surly fly my birds in hopes they all make it back safe but right now as much as I would love to let them fly there is no way I could do this this with this guy hanging around. These are two different days and not the best that I could have gotten had I been ready with my camera, I think he is a cooper and seems to me as if he knows my birds are in the little house's.

This one is from yesterday and it is as I walk out the back door, I can hear the crows squawking and take a quick look around and sur enough there he is is.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Fly your birds only in the late afternoon. Hawks feed in the morning and have usually found their daily meal by 3 p.m. Never lost a bird and had only one attack this year while training my kit of Oriental Rollers to fly. Fly in morning and you are guaranteed to draw hawks.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Also, if the hawks just won't let them be, lock them up. Keep them in for a min. of 3 days before trying again. Hawks can survive on meals every 3 days (although we all know with the winter weather, that makes them more cranky and hungry) if they aren't having any luck. A week is better, for then hopefully the hawks will have went off to find another more reliable source of food.

One good way to avoid things, is to have your birds trap trained well. When they come down, call them straight in. Don't let them linger around the loft and wait to get picked off. A tree is a tad more safe, but sitting on the rooftop is a death waiting to happen.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
yes, me and my birds are hibernating right now...they will just have to work off the excess weight in the spring...they have more of a chance of doing that than me!....lol...

also some birds that are flown alot are more savvy and can out fly hawks....mine are pretty good at it, but who wants the drama....I know they do not like it...so up they will be for most of the winter... wanted to try to do some road training this winter, but the few times I did...there was mr hawk..no one got hit, but it is just too much, I like my birds too much also..:)

·
Registered
393 Posts
I agree very much with what "mary of Exceter" said. Having your bird's trap fast will help a lot.
However, there has been one instance where my bird's where elevating, and bang! nothing but a downpour of down. The hawk hit them in midflight...and this was in in the spring. I have come to the conclusion, you just cannot beat a hawk. They have your loft on there radar, like we know where the nearest Mcdonald's is.
I have noticed certain bird's of mine have the ability to out manuveure the hawk, they turn on a dime, so to speak. I wonder have any of you out there have seen the same with your bird's?
...And heres a question for Mr George Simon, do you think this is an inherant behaviour? (print loud, becauce I can't hear the picture lol)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've been having an immature Red-tail and a Cooper's in the yard; I have bird feeders to help the wild birds through the winter and every now and then....
I'm suspicious that the hawks can hear my birds flying around in the aviary-the pigeon 'wingclap"

·
Registered
459 Posts
I let mine out once a week in the winter on diffrent days, works great and have ever only lost one bird, but he escaped so its not fare!!!

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I've been having an immature Red-tail and a Cooper's in the yard; I have bird feeders to help the wild birds through the winter and every now and then....
I'm suspicious that the hawks can hear my birds flying around in the aviary-the pigeon 'wingclap"
I hear that "wing clap" too, and when I look out quick - all my birds are inside the loft - the flight cage is empty!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Hey 3 hawks from 3 different states I beleive . 47 more to go.
Massachusetts

Here all the time. And not just one.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I believe it's a sharp-shinned hawk, as the coopers adults are REALLY big. This one was big, but not as big as the coopers that hit our roof once, and we brought it up to Tufts to see if they could help him. He was huge, and heavy. We get a lot of coopers here. They say that an adult female sharp-shinned hawk can be nearly as large as an adult male coopers.
Here's a link to compare the two

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/accipiterIDtable.htm

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I believe it's a sharp-shinned hawk, as the coopers adults are REALLY big. This one was big, but not as big as the coopers that hit our roof once, and we brought it up to Tufts to see if they could help him. He was huge, and heavy. We get a lot of coopers here. They say that an adult female sharp-shinned hawk can be nearly as large as an adult male coopers.
Here's a link to compare the two

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/accipiterIDtable.htm
Nice site!
They do look alike :confused: I'm not up on the different types of hawks.
After I commented I realized it wasn't a Kestrel. Didn't have the coloration or stripes down the side of the head. I had one land on the top of my Fantail cage a couple years ago. Colorful little bird! At first I thought it was someone's loose parrot :eek: Ran to look it up in my book, and found out it was a Kestrel - never heard of it before that. And then never saw it again.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Fly your birds only in the late afternoon. Hawks feed in the morning and have usually found their daily meal by 3 p.m. Never lost a bird and had only one attack this year while training my kit of Oriental Rollers to fly. Fly in morning and you are guaranteed to draw hawks.
My highfliers are on lock down til spring. The problem with flying my birds late in the afternoon is they wont land before dark. I have lost many birds because I use to let them out late in the afternoon. And once they start climbing and skyout I can almost bet that they wont land before dark. Then If I am lucky the next day when I come home from work some of them will be there waiting for me to let them in.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Nice site!
They do look alike :confused: I'm not up on the different types of hawks.
After I commented I realized it wasn't a Kestrel. Didn't have the coloration or stripes down the side of the head. I had one land on the top of my Fantail cage a couple years ago. Colorful little bird! At first I thought it was someone's loose parrot :eek: Ran to look it up in my book, and found out it was a Kestrel - never heard of it before that. And then never saw it again.
Actually, they're kinda cute.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts