Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a SUPER rough month of June it seems my YB's are back on track. I was wondering how far out I should be training these guys by now So I'm not rushing to catch up in the coming months.

Also any forum members in my area that would like to train together once a week or so...I'm in Escondido, CA

Jason

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
O-Boy here we go again-Thats a LOADED question-no info-how old are the birds?--how far from the loft have they been tossed?
I never trained over 30 miles myself. Had a hen trained to 30 miles--shipped her to 3-300 mile races. She was not a winner-so must have been a follower.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The birds are mixed in ages...most born early Feb some are March hatches...I have tossed them @7miles 6 times...last fly they made it 14 minutes to trap and that was the second drop at that location that day...thanks SkyTx for helping me out.

JW

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ybs

Mine are about the same. Mixxed bag as far as ages. Been taking it a little slow to let the younger ones catch up. I started a 6 mi. they now have been 20 mi. total of maybe 10 tosses or so. Going to 30 tomorrow. Kind of need them strong before they get to the hills where the hawks and falcons live. Some members take them straight to the hills and 1 member started with 100 and now is down to 18 just from tossing.
Jack

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Sounds like they are ready to move farther. I'd go 10 a couple times--then 20 2-3 times.After that as far as you feel like driving.
Just my way BUT
9 days before the first race i take them 30 miles ever day.--Our first Race is 150 miles for young Birds. They need about 1 hour flying ever day.Around the loft or Road training.
A note--a 4 month old bird is good for 300 miles if trained.
They may not DRIVE home from a 7 mile toss if they are used to flying for an hour--They may Route on the way home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts