Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the average number of YB's for a race team? Is 50 birds good? Do I need 100 birds to fly? I want to have enough birds to race with out raising more then I need and have space for. Working on a new Loft. Just need some numbers to look at.....THANKS

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
You definitely don't need a hundred :p I know a few people who raise 100 or more, but I really think that's unnecessary. If you have a 100 birds from good breeders, then there's a good chance not all of them will get to race, unless you want to send them farther on their first race.

My team on average always seems to be 60 birds. I would love to have a smaller team, but I don't want to get rid of breeders before I know if they're good. This year quite a few of mine will be given to other fliers and put in auctions, so I don't have to deal with as many, but I can still test them. I just like getting 3 rounds, do depending on how many breeders I have, the number changes.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
50 birds should be enough--you do not have too ship the limit ever race. just 6-8 birds ever race and you will complete the season. hopefully have a few left for Old Birds.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
What is the average number of YB's for a race team? Is 50 birds good? Do I need 100 birds to fly? I want to have enough birds to race with out raising more then I need and have space for. Working on a new Loft. Just need some numbers to look at.....THANKS
Let me know what size loft you build, and how many sections, and I can better answer your question. Personally, at least in my pigeon club, I have not seen any correlation between the number of YB's raised, with the amount of "wins". By that I mean, we have fliers who raise 200 YB's and those who raise 20...the guy with 200 YB's, does not win 10x's the number of races. The number of your YB team, should relate to what space you have. No matter what size loft you build, your numbers will increase in time to fill it....it's like the movie, build it, and they will come.

·
Registered
941 Posts
As a new flier myself I would say in the begining raising more is better than fewer birds if you have the room, reason being is you have no idea of the quality of the birds you are starting out with until you start racing them! Just for discussions sake say you raise 50 young birds you trained them and they are coming home pretty good, great so your ready for that first young bird race, you have a full race team 20 for the A race, 20 for the B race and another 10 birds for the training crate! Now it's race day you have only 13 return from the A race and the B race was a smash hardly anyone got birds back but you got 8 birds back from the B-race and 2 birds back from the training basket, a few days later you got a mix of birds back 5 in total from all three releases, so you now have a total of 28 birds back from the shortest distance race, Now the second race of young bird season you split the birds 14 in A-race and 14 in B-race, a perfect race day but still you lose birds not many but a few your team is cut down to 22 birds and there are still 8 more races on the schedule, your races are now past 150 miles and the next one is 200 miles! As you can see, until you have flown a season you will have no idea if your birds are even capable of making the distances you will be flying in later weeks, but those birds that do make the distances are your best birds, then it's a whole new ball game to determine if the birds have the speed needed to win a race, you may have birds that come home but will never have a chance of winning a race, your club members will love you for it but you didn't join just to be a number for others now did you, like most you want a real chance to win on any given day! :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think if you have over a hundred ybs there will not be as much attention paid to them, whereas if you have 20-30, you can focus more on them individually and would be able to exam them better. That's just my opinion. :)

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Good concept would be raise 100 young birds. train them select through the traing records the top 20 to 30 birds. remove the rest as those would be more likly to get lost. Return slow ect. Then you finish off the training with the team of 20 to 30 birds. Which you have more time for and they get the better training and racing. You would set your training requirements And select from that. As 100 birds just a few are the real race birds others are not. same as show birds just a few meet the ideal.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Good concept would be raise 100 young birds. train them select through the traing records the top 20 to 30 birds. remove the rest as those would be more likly to get lost. Return slow ect. Then you finish off the training with the team of 20 to 30 birds. Which you have more time for and they get the better training and racing. You would set your training requirements And select from that. As 100 birds just a few are the real race birds others are not. same as show birds just a few meet the ideal.
This is not a sugestion for the original poster to do.{}

{That is a great idea but what you gonna do with the rest of the birds? This is a problem I have. I did an experient last year and went through the birds at about 2 months old and by the way they handled I marked a star system 1-4 stars 4 being the best. Believe it or not all the good birds at the end of the season either had 3 or 4 stars. Maybe I will give some of the 1's and 2's away this year. You never know some of them might work out for sombody. Plus, they are free what could it hurt? }

Original poster "if you have the room" breed a little more is my suggestion because you will loose more than most people and you need some to race with. We had a new guy race last year and lost all but 15 birds to start racing with and thats just not enough. His season was over pretty quick and thats no fun. Plus, I don't know how many breeders you got but get at least 2-3 rounds from them and this will give you a good idea of what to keep for next year. Maybe you loose all 6 babies off one pair for me that pair might pump babies next year for the good ones. Good Luck

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I am looking to raise about 70 young birds. I plan on flying them all in ABQ the PT race and a few other places around the country. I am only raising two rounds so I will be trying some new pairs out this year. I hope to be done by June. No late hatches this year.

Randy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts